On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:53:42 -0500 "Seymour P. Gross"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>There were 241 Representatives in the House in the 104th Congress
>who supported the Udall bill, and 28 who supported the Smith
>bill.
>
>There is no one among us who if confronted with a broken arm, or
>a heart attack, would expect our congressmen/women to choose our
>course of medical treatment.  Why on earth should we allow the
>few to dictate, based on their prejudices, what the best course
>of treatment should be for the Parkinson community?
>
>We too, have had correspondence with Congressman Saxton whom we
>respect, and have always voted for.  It is important to note
>however, that fetal tissue research is not mentioned in the Udall
>bill.  The ethical guidelines codified in the Research Freedom
>Act, (signed by President Clinton in 1993) and the penalties for
>violation ensure that research is performed with integrity and
>compliance.
>
>The Congressman wants "specific language in this bill which
>states that no fetal tissue research will be used."  When
>Congressman Saxton came to office in 1984 research for
>Parkinson's was woefully underfunded, Mo Udall was in the early
>stages of Parkinson's, and abortions were not uncommon.  In 1997
>research is still underfunded and virtually dormant, Mo Udall is
>totally incapacitated, abortions are still not uncommon, and the
>Congressman writes that he is "committed to ensuring that
>Parkinson's research continues to maintain appropriate funding
>levels and doctors and scientists push forward to find a cure."
>Government funded fetal tissue research was discontinued during
>the Reagan and Bush administrations and teams of research
>scientists disbanded and went on to other pursuits.  Who knows
>what advances might have been made if this research had been
>allowed to continue?
>
>The Udall bill is about research, not abortion!
>
>Dr. Eugene Redmond of Yale University is quoted in The
>Philadelphia Inquirer, Feb. 10, as saying, "As long as the ban
>was on, the political considerations and philosophical
>considerations were driving research.  People were advancing
>research ideas because they were an alternative to fetal tissue
>and not because they may work.  It was like Russia, where certain
>research had to be done because certain people believed it was
>true."
>
>We suggest doubling our efforts to impress upon our legislators
>the importance and the urgency of supporting and co-sponsoring
>the Udall bill NOW; that we respond quickly to the often wordy
>but non-committal letters we receive from elected officials, that
>we ask for the support of organizations we have supported over
>the years at the national and grass roots level; that we write
>letters to the editors, and to columnists, and to reputable TV
>programs, and visit local retirement communities, fraternal
>organizations to talk about the Udall bill, thus reaching out to
> [...]
Dear Listmembers,

I wholeheartedly agree with the Gross's wonderful post.

Sunday my local Parkinson's support group will be taking time to get to
work on the Udall Bill, and the Gross's post will REALLY help.

Remember, too, to work on the idea of a governor's proclamation.  I was
astounded at how positive and wonderful the response was from Gov. Angus
King's office, which is preparing an April 11th (World Parkinson's Day)/
Month of April (Parkinson's Awareness Month) proclamation .

Ivan Suzman
proud-to-be-gay listmember
47/10
Portland, Maine