We are pleased to announce our finalised speakers:

Caterina Albano, Birkbeck College
'The Show in Thomas Heywood's A Woman Killed with Kindness'.

Tony Archdeacon, University of Southampton
'Somebodies and Nobodies in Shakespeare's England'.

Alizon Brunning, University of Central Lancashire
'Comedy, Commode, Commodity: or, is Middleton Taking the Piss out of Comedy?'

Nick Cox, Manchester Metropolitan University
'"No end of subversion': Shakespearean Authority, New Historicism, and
the Representation of Plebian Insurrection in the early 1590s'.

Mark Dooley, University of Teeside
'Lyly's Gallathea: Inversion, Metamorphosis, and Sexual Difference'.

Ina Habermann, Munich
'The Theatre of the Law: Slander and Gender in Swetnam, the Woman-hater'.

Clare Harraway, Exter College, Oxford
'Rooms for Reading: The British Museum, The Bodleian, and The Book of
Virgil in MarloweUs Dido, Queen of Carthage'.

Tom Healy,Birkbeck College
'"Tis Done Now, What I Never Thought On": What Motivates Action in
Domestic Tragedy?'

Tracey Hill, Bath College of Higher Education
'Censorship and the Canon: Sir Thomas More in the 1590s and 1990s'.

Graham Holderness, University of Hertfordshire
'After The Shakespeare Myth'.

Lisa Hopkins, Sheffield Hallam University
'Kings, Queens and Petty Treason: The More than Domesticity of Arden of
Faversham'.

Mark Hutchings, Bristol
'Audience, Narrative and History: John Mason's
The Turk and (Protestant) England's View of (Catholic) Europe'.

Peg Katritzky, Wimbledon School of Art
'Mountebanks, 1590-1610: The Visual Evidence'.

Alan Macfarlane, University of Aberdeen
'The Sovereignty of Seduction: Elizabeth I in Heywood's 1 & 2 If You Know
Not Me'.

Stephen OUNeill, University College, Dublin
'In Mack Morrice's Shadow: the Stage Irishman in Late Elizabethan Drama'.

Simon Shepherd, Goldsmiths College
'Hamlet Re-Possessed'.

Matthew Steggle,Trinity College, Oxford
'Three sorts of Fantasy: What you will, or not Twelfth Night'.

Frank Thurmond, University College, Oxford
'"Mark the music": Musical and Poetic Harmony in the English Renaissance'.

Richard Wilson, Lancaster University
'"As Secret as a Dumb Man": Much Ado with Shakespeare's Shadow'.

Rowlie Wymer, University of Hull
'Marlowe, Jarman, and the Closet of the Heart'.

                **************************
                *IN SHAKESPEARE'S SHADOW *
                *                        *
                *'MINOR' DRAMA',1590-1610*
                **************************

    A CONFERENCE TO BE HELD AT THE UNIVERSITY OF HERTFORDSHIRE,
           WATFORD CAMPUS,SATURDAY 22 MARCH 1997

'In Shakespeare's Shadow' will bring together research on a number of
dramatists (including Greene, Lyly, Marlowe, Marston, Middleton, and
Munday) from a variety of theoretical positions:

cultural materialism * deconstruction * de-editing * feminist theory *
film theory * Marxism * musicology * New Historicism * queer theory *
visual theory

PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY A LIMITED NUMBER OF PLACES ARE AVAILABLE.
PROSPECTIVE DELEGATES ARE ADVISED TO BOOK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Cheques for 12 pounds (9 pounds students and concessions) made payable to
'I.S.S.' to:

In Shakespeare's Shadow
Watford Campus
Wall Hall
Aldenham
Herts. WD2 8AT

Further details are available from the convenors
by e-mail or telephone:

Andrew Spong
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 01707 285651