On Fri, 28 Feb 1997 09:01:52 -0500 Dennis Greene <[log in to unmask]>
writes (in part):

>Isn't it interesting how the debate on gay visibility within the PD
community has become so circular.

>So how do we reconcile Ivan's strongly voiced call for recognition with
the predominant list view that  the hoped for Oprah show are not the
places for private agendas.

> Perhaps the next step is a public awareness campaign on the theme
"people get PD'.  Such a campaign could show us in all our diversity.

> We heterosexuals allude to our sexuality so casually we are hardly
aware we are doing so. Every reference to a husband or wife makes a
statement about our sexual orientation.. It is hardly fair to ask Ivan or
any other gay listmembers
never to mention their partners.

>  Finally can there be any real objection to Ivan including a 'proud to
be gay' message with his signature.  The information may well be
irrelevant to other members,  but this list has a multitude of  messages
tacked on to signatures.

>Dennis.
>
>++++++++++++++++++++
>Dennis Greene 47/10
>++++++++++++++++++++

THANK YOU,  Dennis, for writing with such wonderful care and sensitivity.

Today I was at the bass section rehearsal of the Maine Gay Men's Chorus,
in which I have been fortunate to sing, in spite of being a PWP,  since
1993.  One of my fellow basses, Jim, told us today of his plans for a
Holy Ceremony of Commitment with his partner, also called Jim, (a
marriage ceremony) on July 5. We guys are VERY excited!

Whether we gay people are single, "married," or have lost our partners,
we constantly discuss being acceptable to the heterosexual community.  We
gay basses were talking today, while taking a break to DEVOUR double
chocolate cake,  about the FAMILY DYNAMICS involved in making the
marriage plans supportive of the parents of both Jims, while minimizing
everyone's possible discomfort..

Suddenly, the lights flashed as I realized that the heterosexual
Listmembers (most of you)  are going through the same process of "family
dynamics" as you struggle to accept me as BOTH an OPENLY gay man,  and as
a PWP.

Dennis insightfully states, "every reference to a husband or wife makes a
statement about our sexual orientation."

This is probably the heart of the matter.   Society gives you permission
to talk about your husbands and wives or special heterosexual friends,
right down to topics like your sex lives, on this List, on Oprah, or
anywhere,  without any significant danger of disapproval.

We gay people have to walk delicately to even allude to such things.
This is very difficult and stressful, because inevitably, we are victims
of hatred, and we are relegated to second-class status..  For example,
think about the horrifying bombing of the lesbian club in Atlanta a week
ago.

So I really do appreciate Dennis's suggestion that we listmembers
recognize and campaign about our diversity.  If Oprah wants us PWP's to
talk about our caregiving partners, it would be CRAZY for gay PWP's to
avoid this.  Our gay relationships are part of the fabric of our lives,
just as your heterosexual lives include intimate relationships of all
kinds..

There is a bumpersticker that says, "Celebrate DIversity."  It has the
rainbow for a background. That motto reflects my way of thinking.

I hope we can continue this dialogue.  It is very important to the
minority groups on the list.  And ultimately, although we are all members
of one minority group or another, like vegetarians, artists, liquid
sinemet takers, Udallers, and late-night e-mailers,  it is my gayness
which some of my fellow Listmembers still havel not accepted
unconditionally.
]

P.S.  If I WERE a heterosexual, I would be trying to woo the L'il Honey
on the PD Chat, Barb Mallut!  Her openness and humor  are, as we gay men
are known to say (that is, scream), FABULOUS!!  Love that sense of
"humah!"

Ivan Suzman
47/10  Portland, Maine  land of lighthouses  40 deg. F. spring-like

Proud-to-be-gay, and an uncloseted PWP