The abstract below from the Beilinson Medical Centre, Israel
mentions N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) as markedly protective of nigral
cells and "highly effective in in rescuing cells from DA induced
apoptosis" (better than vitamins C & E). NAC is available by mail order
in the US but does anyone know of a UK supplier?

John Meagher <[log in to unmask]>

Abstract:
Prevention of dopamine induced cell
death by thiol antioxidants: possible
Implications for treatment of Parkinson's
disease. Offen D; Ziv I; Sternin H; Melamed E;
Hochman A. Department of Neurology,
Beilinson Medical Center, Petah-Tiqva, Israel.
Exp Neurol Sep 1996 141(1) p32-9

"We have recently shown that dopamine (DA) can
trigger apoptosis, an active program of cellular
self~destruction, in various neuronal cultures and
proposed that inappropriate activation of apoptosis
by DA and or its oxidation products may initiate
nigral cell loss in Parkinson's disease (PD). Since
DA toxicity may be mediated via generation of
oxygen-free radical species, we examined whether
DA-induced cell death in PC 12 cells may be
inhibited by antioxidants. We have found that the
thiol containing compounds, reduced glutathione
(GSH), N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC), and
dithiothreitol (DTr) were markedly protective,
while vitamins C and E had lesser or no effect.
The thiol antioxidants and vitamin C but not
vitamin E, prevented dopamine autooxidation and
production of dopamine-melanin. Their protective
effect has also manifested by inhibiting DA-
induced apoptosis; DNA fragmentation was
prevented as was shown histochemically by the in
situ end-labeled DNA technique (TUNEL).
Intracellular GSH and other thiols constitute an
important nataral defense against oxidative stress.
We have found that depletion of cellular GSH by
the addition of phoron, a substrate of glutathione
transferase, and buthionine suufoximine (BSO), an
inhibitor of gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase,
significantly enhanced DA toxicity. Cotreatment
with NAC rescued the cells from the toxic effect of
BSO+DA, and phoron+ DA, while addition of
GSH provided only partial protection from
BSO+DA toxicity. Our data indicate that the thiol
fimily of antioxidants, but not vitamins C and E,
are highly effective in rescuing cells from DA-
induced apoptosis. Further study of the
mechanisms underlying the unique protective
capacity of thiol antioxidants may lead to the
development of new neuroprotective theraputic strategies
for PD."