Joan,
I took amantadine and eldepryl for about 6 months (before I began taking
sinemet).  My neurologist is from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.  He told
me it would not be effective very long--it wasn't, about 5-6 mths--but
that it would be a means of delaying the taking of sinemet.  I was 52 when
I developed the symptoms of PD, and the taking of amandatine was about 3
years into the treatment.  The only side effect was that it discolored my
flesh around the right ankle--it turned a light purple.  My doctor
indicated that this was a possible side effect, and it is also cited in
the PDR as a possible effect.

It's amazing that you've been able to go for 8 years without taking
sinemet.  Good luck.

Howard Cohrt