Hello Everyone,  I am new to the list and in need of information, suggestions
and
guidance!  My mother 64, 9 years, is scheduled for either a Pallidotomy or a
Thalamotomy at Philadelphia Graduate Hospital to be performed by Dr. Munz.
Her symptoms in order of severity are as follows:  extremely bad posture
(bent over
double), tremor, poor balance, difficulty swallowing, soft speech,  painfull
joints,
freezing and dyskinesia.
One of her physicians has recommended a Thalamotomy suggesting that it may be
better for tremor.  Another physician thinks that the Pallidotomy is a better
choice.
She believes that Pallidotomy helps patients with tremor 50% of the time and
my
mother could up her meds to further control tremor without severe dyskinesia.
  Also,
in her opinion, the surgery risks associated with Thalamotomy (disturbed
speech
and clumsy hand) are greater than the surgery risks for Pallidotomy.
The physicians have left the decision to my mother.  I would appreciate
hearing
from anyone who has knowledge or experience of these procedures.
                                Thank you for any help and advice.
                                                 Renee Simpson