>My 74 year-old mother has Parkinsons and my 48 year-old brother has
Schizophrenia. This is not the first time I have heard of possible
connections between the two diseases, and I was just wondering if you,
or anyone, have similar family situations.  Although, I am not sure if
>I really should be asking, when I think of my own children (what will

Lena, as I understand it, PD is the result of too little
dopamine, Schizo of too much dopamine. My mom had Parkinson Plus,
and there were times, she'd just be sitting and suddenly scream
as if something was frightening her - what I've imagined to be
schizo behaviour, since I don't know what it actually is. It's
only after she died, and I realized the difference that I've been
wondering - maybe the doses weren't spaced out properly and that
resulted in too much levadopa, and that kind of behaviour? Who
knows. There are too many grey areas.

>My mom, 68 1/2, diagnosed 14 yrs, got challenged the other day at her bank
>because her signature on a check was so shaky. Apparently, Mom and her
>caregiver were
>told that all would be well if she got a note from her Pd doc explaining
>that PWPs often have shaky handwriting and not to worry about it.
>
>Has anybody else had experience with this issue? Should we just change
>banks?

Change banks!
... etc ...

You guys are lucky.

When I needed some shares transferred from my mom (the PWPP -
Parkinson Plus), I had the dickens of a problem - her signature
was quite different from the original, we hadn't taken a Power of
Attorney, share transfer agencts in India are a wonderful example
of bureaucracy at its most pig-headed. For some companies, I went
personally and explained, and it was accepted. Others settled for
the bank manager attesting my mom's signature. One company kept
returning the shares, until I complained to SEBI - that would be
like your SEC. But - better believe it - there was one company
that wouldn't accept the bank manager's attestation. So I had to
submit a new specimen signature card, where I signed as my mom,
then a new share trnasfer form, with this new signature, and it
was done!

In the interest of both - PWP and CG - get the legal formalities
out of the way in time: Power of Attorney, Will, Nominations,
Living Will (I think that's what its called), and so on. Saves a
lot of grief later.

Sarita

PS:

* Researchers claim to have found a statistical link between
  dopamine receptors in the brain and the measure of a
  personality trait termed "detachment."
    - detachment defined for the study as a lack of closeness
      and warmth in relationships and a tendency to avoid
      close involvement with others.
    - studied the density of D2 dopamine receptors in part of
      the brain in 24 participants.
    - found that the lower the D2 density, the higher a person
      scored on the detachment measurement.
    - reported in the journal Nature (February 12, 1997).

>Date:    Fri, 10 Jan 1997 01:09:46 -0500
>From:    robert l dolezal <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: I've had the pig-cell implant

>Jim -  Your portrayal of your implant experience is beautifully done. I am
>so claustrophobic I could feel the agony of the  PET and MRI, and even
>outside the  "chamber" your life was hardly a bed of roses.  Please keep

Jim, I was thinking of unsubscribing from this list, because the
volume of msgs is so high, and since my mom died 9 months ago
(just 2 weeks after I started subscribing actually), a lot of the
info is not reqd. Then I read your msg, and golly - I couldn't
tear away myself from the monitor. Well, I've stayed subscribed
for now. Each time someone asks me what use the Internet is, I
tell them about this list, but you need to experience it to
rreally understand it.

>Date:    Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:23:40 -0500
>From:    Jean Loup Terraillon <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Steel Richardson disease

>Have you ever heard about a nervous disease called Steel Richardson?
>My father got it, it paralyzes little by little arms, legs, muscles, stomach,
>swallowing capabilities, then lung and finally heart. The brain remains
>perfect and the patient is totally aware of what happens.
>It looks like Parkison, but is not (less trembling for example)
>Dad's doctor does not know any medicine. Dopamine does not work

Jean Loup, my mother had this - it's also called Parkinson Plus.
It's more rare, more complex, and more neglected. Dopamine is of
limited use, bromocriptine is the other drug. There is a superb
support group, the SPSP, in the US. Have you got the address? I
can hunt it out for you if you want.

Or if there's something specific you want to know, mail me in
pvt.

Thought this might be of interest for those wanting to mobilize
support for Udall ... got it out of one of my mailing lists (I
think it was a patent news service):

                      LIKELY EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR SENATORS

   State  D/R Name                 E-Mail Address
     AR   D   Bumpers, Dale        [log in to unmask]
     AZ   R   Kyl, Jon             [log in to unmask]
     AZ   R   McCain, John         [log in to unmask]
     CA   D   Boxer, Barbara       [log in to unmask]
     CA   D   Feinstein, Dianne    [log in to unmask]
     CO   D   Brown, Hank          [log in to unmask]
     CT   D   Dodd, Christopher    [log in to unmask]
     CT   D   Lieberman, Joseph    [log in to unmask]
     DE   D   Biden, Joe           [log in to unmask]
     FL   D   Graham, Bob          [log in to unmask]
     GA   R   Coverdell, Paul      [log in to unmask]
     IA   D   Harkin, Tom          [log in to unmask]
     IA   R   Grassley, Charles    [log in to unmask]
     ID   R   Craig, Larry         [log in to unmask]
     ID   R   Kempthorne, Dirk     [log in to unmask]
     IL   D   Moseley-Braun, Carol [log in to unmask]
     IL   D   Simon, Paul          [log in to unmask]
     IN   R   Lugar, Richard       [log in to unmask]
     KY   D   Ford, Wendell        [log in to unmask]
     LA   D   Breaux, John         [log in to unmask]
     LA   D   Johnston, J.Bennett  [log in to unmask]
     MA   D   Kennedy, Ted         [log in to unmask]
     MA   D   Kerry, John          [log in to unmask]
     MD   D   Mikulski, Barbara    [log in to unmask]
     MD   D   Sarbanes, Paul       [log in to unmask]
     ME   R   Cohen, William       [log in to unmask]
     MI   D   Levin, Carl          [log in to unmask]
     MN   R   Grams, Rod           [log in to unmask]
     MN   D   Wellstone, Paul      [log in to unmask]
     MO   R   Ashcroft, John       [log in to unmask]
     MS   R   Cochran, Thad        [log in to unmask]
     MT   D   Baucus, Max          [log in to unmask]
     MT   R   Burns, Conrad        [log in to unmask]
     ND   D   Dorgan, Byron        [log in to unmask]
     NE   D   Kerrey, Bob          [log in to unmask]
     NH   R   Gregg, Judd          [log in to unmask]
     NH   R   Smith, Bob           [log in to unmask]
     NJ   D   Bradley, Bill        [log in to unmask]
     NM   D   Bingaman, Jeff       [log in to unmask]
     NM   R   Domenici, Pete       [log in to unmask]
     NV   D   Reid, Harry          [log in to unmask]
     OH   R   Dewine, Michael      [log in to unmask]
     OK   R   Nickles, Don         [log in to unmask]
     RI   R   Chafee, John         [log in to unmask]
     SC   D   Hollings, Ernest     [log in to unmask]
     SD   D   Daschle, Thomas      [log in to unmask]
     SD   R   Pressler, Larry      [log in to unmask]
     TN   R   Frist, Bill          [log in to unmask]
     TX   R   Graham, Phil         [log in to unmask]
     TX   R   Hutchison, Kay       [log in to unmask]
     VA   D   Robb, Charles        [log in to unmask]
     VA   R   Warner, John         [log in to unmask]
     VT   D   Leahy, Patrick       [log in to unmask]
     VT   R   Jeffords, Jim        [log in to unmask]
     WA   R   Gorton, Slade        [log in to unmask]
     WA   D   Murray, Patty        [log in to unmask]
     WI   D   Feingold, Russell    [log in to unmask]
     WI   D   Kohl, Herbert        [log in to unmask]
     WV   D   Rockefeller, Jay     [log in to unmask]
     WY   R   Simpson, Alan        [log in to unmask]