At 11:44 AM 3/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
>   My neurologist wants to put me on this new drug. I cannot find any
>information on this. Can anyone help me?

Hello Marcia:
On the website address, http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/1ee06.htm, the following
information can be found:

           About Aricept(TM) (donepezil hydrochloride) Tablets

Controlled clinical trials in over 900 patients demonstrated that more than
80 percent of patients taking Aricept(TM) experienced improvement in
cognition or exhibited no further decline in tests of cognition over the
course of the studies, lasting up to six months. In an assessment of patient
function*, which includes general function, cognition, behavior and
activities of daily living, clinicians rated approximately two times as many
patients on Aricept(TM) as clinically improved in comparison to patients on
placebo after 24 weeks of treatment in a 30 week study.

            David S. Geldmacher, M.D., clinical director of the Alzheimer
Center at the University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case Western Reserve
University and an Aricept(TM) clinical investigator said, "Although we
cannot yet cure the disease, Aricept(TM) provides the Alzheimer community
with a safe and effective means to combat the symptoms in mild to moderate
Alzheimer patients. Because of the progressive nature of this disease, we
can be encouraged by Aricept(TM) patients who do not decline in cognition or
daily function while on drug therapy."

            Aricept(TM) is a reversible inhibitor of the enzyme
acetylcholinesterase, which breaks down the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
Acetylcholine, thought to be associated with memory and learning, is in
shortsupply in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Aricept(TM) therapy may
result in a higher concentration of acetylcholine in the brain, thereby
improving cognitive function.

            Approximately 83 percent of patients enrolled in Aricept(TM)
(donepezil hydrochloride) tablets controlled clinical trials completed their
scheduled participation. Aricept(TM) was well-tolerated** in these trials.
The most common side effects include nausea, diarrhea, insomnia, vomiting,
muscle cramps, fatigue and anorexia. In clinical studies with Aricept(TM),
these effects were often mild, and generally went away with continued
treatment. Furthermore, liver            function monitoring is not required.

            Aricept(TM) is given once-daily and is available by prescription
in 5 mg and 10 mg tablets and is priced approximately 16 percent lower than
the only other product available for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
The once-daily 5 mg dose has been shown to be clinically effective. Some
patients might receive additional benefit from the 10 mg once-daily dose
after four to six weeks of 5 mg once-daily therapy.

            * The Clinician's Interview-Based Impression of Change plus
Caregiver Assessment (CIBIC plus) is a semi-structured, subjective
instrument intended to examine four major areas of patient function:
general, cognitive, behavioral and activities of daily living. It represents
the assessment of an independent clinician based on an interview with the
patient and caregiver. This instrument has not been systematically compared
to other global methods or to assessments that
do not use information from caregivers.

            ** Although no increase in peptic ulcer disease or
gastrointestinal bleeding was observed in clinical studies of Aricept(TM),
patients should be carefully observed for signs of gastrointestinal
bleeding, especially those at increased risk for developing ulcers. In
clinical studies, two percent of patients treated with Aricept(TM)
experienced fainting.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Margaret
Margaret Tuchman (55yrs, Dx 1980)- NJ-08540