 Anne Livak <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Antioxidant Juice shortens off periods
Hey folks, we're all desperate for magic and there is no magic.
It's probably not the "magic"antioxidant in the juice that shortens off
periods, but the presence of the acid and liquid promoting more rapid
emptying of the stomach. [Sinemet is absorbed in the duodenum] as well as the
mixing of the Sinemet with the juice that allows better absorption  with  a
better on and less dyskinesia, as has been demonstrated for liquid Sinemet.
 [i.e. taking juice + Sinemet may be almost as good as liquifying Sinemet in
juice before drinking it]
Jacquie Winterkorn, MD

  We could be close to a cure if more money were spent on PD  research-- why
is each patient with AIDS worth $1000+  and  each PWP wlrth only $15 in
research money?

With disappointment and sadness I am taking  a break from this List for a
while .   We do altogether too little of what we do best --that is, record
and compare notes on the phenomenology of PD--, commisserate about how rotten
this disease is, acknowledge to one another that we know we're still in
there,  but buried in these stiff, uncooperative bodies that people stare at
in the supermarket when the fingers can't get the credit card out fast enough
at the checkout counter, that stupid bank clerks ask for a doctor's note, and
that  telephone operators accuse of drunkenness when we cant articulate
because we're racing on medication touted as a cure, but with which each of
us is sluggng it out in our personal hells.
 I was hoping to hear the personal experiences of PWP on things that we have
no scientific data on -- like reports of :-diurnal variability before
beginnng Sinemet?;
                                    -PD doing worse or better on estrogen
replacement?
                                     -how much extra Sinemet do you need to
eat a steak vs fish without crashing at the dinner table?
                                      -more on the end-of-dose dyskinesias.
                                      -should we be driving
Instead, there are a couple of people who insist on spouting
 pseudo-scientific nonsense,  19th century, half-baked, incomplete, wrong,
misleading half-understood , oversimplified neurobiologic theories in these
e-mails and it is driving me up a wall.  DA metabolism...over supplies
undersupplies and downregulation... electrical activity...pharmacodynamic
formulas .  There is so much misinformation slung about in any one day here,
 that with my PhD in neuroscience I wouldn't know where to begin to correct
it. And pray tell, what are the research and educational credentials of our
resident theoreticians?? Did they ever consider taking a neuroanatomy book
out of the library and looking at the relationships among the substantia
nigra, globus pallidus, caudate nucleus and then sorting out what is known
about the neurotransmitter circuitry? Go back to high school physiology and
look up neurones, dendrites and axons, action potentials,  chemical and
electrical activity, and concepts like inhibition, disinhibition,  and
deafferentation  or denervation suprasensitivity? [denervation
suprasensitivity is a likely contributing factor to why we become
hypersensitive to DA; disinhibition results from loss of inhibitory circuits
and contributes to our dyskinesias].  A few selfish people are ruining a
great thing...
      I work for a living and PD slows me down so that I feel on the edge all
the time. The PD "information" exchange is taking more time than it is worth.

    You can still call on me if I can help in any way.