Dear Becky,

I will try to answer your questions as best I can:

At 02:09 PM 3/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Ok - I didn't think I was going to do this TODAY, but I guess it can't
>hurt.  My name is Becky and my father, 53, has been diagnosed with
>Parkinson's about 6 months ago.  I don't know much about it AT ALL and
>started surfing the web and bumped into this List, so I
>joined...yesterday.  The posts were so helpful, I decided to post myself.
>I could use some assistance in understanding some things:
>What EXACTLY (or as much that is known) causes PD?

Most PD is ideopathic which means we don't know. A few cases are caused by
manganese poisoning, carbon monoxide poisoning, and years ago by encephalitis.
 Is it that there is
>not enough dopamine secreted or it isn't used efficiently by the body?The
body is not where the problem. The problem is lack of dopamine in the brain.
>What is dopamine? Dopamine is a neurotransmitter which connects the brain
to the nerves.
>What is PWP (person with parkinson?)? yes
>What is Sinemet and why are young people steered away from it?  AND, what
>is considered young? Sinemet is a pill containing levodopa. Levodopa gets
into the brain and becomes dopamine. Sinemet also contains carbidopa which
slows the torso  from attacking the levodopa before it can get to the brain.
Most today say that putting off Sinemet therapy is a mistake.
>What is fetal tissue transplant?  Is it the pig tissue transplants that I
>just started reading about? FEtal tissue inplant is taking certain brain
cells from fetuses and implanting them in the brain. These cells must be the
ones producing dopamine. Pig brain cells are highly exxperimental.  Most are
human. It is a rare operation.
>Are there different TYPES of PD? Probably yes. [see causes above]. Some
have tremor, some don't. Different people respond differently to medications.
>How long can someone with PD be expected to live once diagnosed? Almost
normal lifespan.
>I know there isn't a cure, but how close are they to one?m The cure has
been just around the corner since 1816.
>Are there any FOODS that promote the secretion of dopamine? Fava beans in
high concentrations.  Sinemet pills are better.
>I can use whatever help you can offer...
>About 5 years ago, my dad had to have bi-pass surgery in his legs for
>cramping (there was a significant decrease in blood flow to his
>legs)...and the surgery has helped.  But, now he is now getting the
>cramping back, but the doctors state that it isn't the same problem.  Is
>cramping a side effect of a particular drug? OR is it a symptom of PD?
A symptom of PD, particularly cramps in calf in morning.

>I'm from the Central Jersey area...if anyone knows of a good 'clinic' or
>physician in the area that would be appreciated. Robert Wood Johnson
Medical School/Hospital in New BRunswick is tops.  i use it.  I live in
Maryland.

>Thanks!!
>Becky
>
>You are welcome.
And here's to long "ons" and short "offs"

WILL JOHNSTON   4049 OAKLAND SCHOOL ROAD
                SALISBURY, MD 21804-2716
                410-543-0110
Pres A.P.D.A.  DelMarVa Chapter