Aan 5-03-97 20:09, in bericht <[log in to unmask]>, Becky
Moskowitz <[log in to unmask]> schreef:

> Ok - I didn't think I was going to do this TODAY, but I guess it can't
> hurt.  My name is Becky and my father, 53, has been diagnosed with
> Parkinson's about 6 months ago.  I don't know much about it AT ALL and
> started surfing the web and bumped into this List, so I
> joined...yesterday.  The posts were so helpful, I decided to post myself.
> I could use some assistance in understanding some things:
> What EXACTLY (or as much that is known) causes PD?  Is it that there is
> not enough dopamine secreted or it isn't used efficiently by the body?

PD. is a disease that causes cell death in the Substantie Nigra. One of the
fuctions of these cells is the production of dopamine. The Substantia Nigra
is a part of the extra-pyramidal system.  The task of this system is the fine
tuning of movement. It rules the complex things that one needs to coordinate
things or to keep equilibrium or to have the adequate muscle tonus. These
funktions are disturbed in a P(ersons) W(ith) P(arkinson)
The cause of  the cell death is unknown.

> What is dopamine?

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter which is a chemical that makes nerve signs go
along pathways from the one nerve to the next. In the extra-pyramidal system of
a PWP certain pathways can't be used any longer. The sign stops as soon as it
has to cross over from one to the next nerve.

> What is PWP (person with parkinson?)?
Already answered

> What is Sinemet and why are young people steered away from it?  AND, what
> is considered young?

Sinemet is dopamine.  Not especialy young people are steered away from it. Some
neurologists believe it is a good thing  not to start Sinemet too early because
it has side effects which grow worse the longer it is used. Others however
think the worsening of the side effects is not from the longer use of sinemet
but from the more advanced state of the disease. In  that case sinemet is
prescribed as soon as a patient feels better with it than without it.

> What is fetal tissue transplant?  Is it the pig tissue transplants that I
> just started reading about?
It is exactly what it seems. Experiments are done in which dopamine producing
cells from yound fetuses are planted in the substantia nigra of PWP's. Because
this was for some people not acceptable because of the link with abortion,
cells of pig fetuses are experimentally used.

> Are there different TYPES of PD?
Yes. To start with PD and PDplus exist. Having PD plus means more damage in the
brain is supposed to exist. It is not clear but widely believed there is a
difference in young onset (onset before about 45 year) and later onset. Besides
every PWP is unique

> How long can someone with PD be expected to live once diagnosed?
Not much less than his expectation had been without PD.

> I know there isn't a cure, but how close are they to one?
It can not be garantied, but many people think it will be within 5 to 10 years.
Some have more reservations.

> Are there any FOODS that promote the secretion of dopamine?
No

> I can use whatever help you can offer...
> About 5 years ago, my dad had to have bi-pass surgery in his legs for
> cramping (there was a significant decrease in blood flow to his
> legs)...and the surgery has helped.  But, now he is now getting the
> cramping back, but the doctors state that it isn't the same problem.  Is
> cramping a side effect of a particular drug? OR is it a symptom of PD?
It might be a symptom of PD

> I'm from the Central Jersey area...if anyone knows of a good 'clinic' or
> physician in the area that would be appreciated.

That is something I don't know about.
List people from the USA might recommend you some book for further
infoormation.

Thanks!!