"CERAMISTS" and THE INCIDENCE OF PARKINSON +/or ALZHEIMER'S DISEASES

 "ceramics"  or "ceramists"  or "ceramic engineering"

DEAR READER,
   I belong to a PD support group that meets at Emerson Hospital in Concord
 Mass. Two of my fellow members,John Haggerty and Sy Blum, have a special
 interest in hearing from any one who works in the ceramics community and
 who has PD and/or Alzheimers. I do recall postings that addressed that
 issue and I would like to invite interested parties to talk with John
 or Sy at the below listed addresses. In addition John is available
 via e-mail at [log in to unmask] or you may leave a message for them with me.
   What follows is a copy of a "letter" they submitted to the American
 Ceramics Society Bulletin [V. 76, No.2, Feb.'97, Pg 37

                      THE PARKINSON"S PUZZLE
While ill, Al Cooper was surprised by the number of people with ceramics
backgrounds who were similarly afflicted with Parkinson's and/or Alzheimer's
diseases. Because the causes of these diseases are largely unknown, the
investigation of these ailments within the ceramics community became one
of his last research interests. Even though he sparked interest among
leading Parkinson's research groups,a formal study could not be initiated
before he died.

We are continuing Al Cooper's iniiative  by identifying people working
with ceramic materials who have these neurological diseases and
reviewing  the findings with neurologists and medical researchers.If a
statistically significant cluster is found, a formal investigation
of exposure histories will be pursued.

Several additional 'ceramists' with these diseases have been identified
who are either active in the workplace or recently retired. However, we
do not have a reliable process for learning about older members of our
community. If you have an interest in this study or know of people
having these diseases, please contact one of the undersigned.

John S.Haggerty
5 Partridge Lane, Lincoln, MA. 01773
ph 617/259-8606

Sy Blum