One of my sons has a step-grandson, now age 4.  When he first came to
visit he said that "Grandpa scares me."  We tried to explain that while he
is learning new things, Grandpa is unlearning things. (Dementia)  This
seemed to make sense and he now will bring a new toy to show Grandpa or
play beside him quietly.  Grandpa seems to enjoy this.  Juan just accepts
Grandpa as he is.

I think small children frequently react to anything unusual as scary.  I
also substituted the word "startle" for scare when appropriate.  Most of
the time he used the word "scare" he really meant "startle."

Miriam L. Denham