Hi,

Our team (Nancy and Bob) has been challenged by this miserable disease
for 22 years Nancy (52/22). Since we are only 52 years old, it has
stolen away some of the best years of our life, but not our spirit nor
our desire to seek a cure. We are continuing our fight on as many fronts
as possible. This requires a huge investment of time, some talent, and
the occasional use of treasures mostly for travel expenses to Washington
and for PD board meetings presentations and personal hospital and home
visits where we try to extend a helping hand. We are members of all the
majoe PD groups and write out annual checks to each, including our
locals.  In short we do what we can when we can in whatever way we are
able to help. To the many others that do the same a big THANK YOU. To
those who feel overwhelmed, or may be suffering from that lousy
depression monster that rises frequently with PD, we ask you to rise up
from your chairs and your personal concerns and reach out to others
including the political establishment and AWAKEN them as to the problems
that we PD sufferers and loved ones must endure every single day.

With regard to Udall efforts,  There have been numerous opportunities to
contribute, disagree, agree and remain silent. We believe silence has
been our principle problem. We have been invisible for too long. That
may be why we lag behind many other national efforts to provide targeted
disease research. So we support the PAN motto, INVISIBLE NO MORE.  Speak
out and be heard.

Having said this, we do believe it is important to keep the message
simple and as focused as possible.

With regard to Udall issues:
Timing - we believe getting the bill reintroduced as soon as possible
makes sense. Waiting for a big media event to introduce the bill sounds
like a good idea but we are further along than that with our grass roots
support structure and with our existing House and Senate supporters.
Let's use every media opportunity possible to state our case but don't
use it as an excuse to hold up the bill's reintroduction.

Fetal tissue - we believe that the protective measures that are in place
to protect the unborn and the mother are adequate and that the Udall
bill does nothing to influence any of the choices that a woman may be
confronted with. We believe the bill should remain silent on this
subject and that the suggestion that fetal tissue could be used as a
compromise issue be held in abeyance. As of this writing we see no
reason to discuss the subject in terms of compromise, however we do see
considerable value in discussing the ongoing projects and future
projects and the potential  benefits/detriments to human kind of
allowing this type of research to continue.

Differences of opinion: The Parkinson's Action Network at the hands of
Joan Samuelson and her team has accomplished a great deal. More recently
APDA, NPF and others have been making their presence felt in generally
very positive ways. We must somehow focus on the pluses that each
organization or individual brings to the table and minimize focusing on
the negatives that also come with larger scale participation. We believe
that PAN should be supported by all individuals and groups in support of
the Udall Bill and concomitant activities. Once this massive effort
succeeds it will be time to reexamine what structure is needed for the
future. Hopefully we pass the bill this year then help the leaders
develop a plan for the future to help each and every Parkinsonian.

Multiple National PD organizations -  At the moment we do not see a
compelling case for merger of the PD groups. There no doubt is redundant
overhead that could be removed from the multiple structures which would
make more funds available for research, education, therapies and more,
but that will take considerable time and even more resources to get that
to happen. What we do support is the formation of a National Coalition
that discusses and develops strategic direction for the entire PD
community and that ACTS accordingly. For information, a definition:

Coalition - A temporary alliance of distinct parties or persons or
states for joint action.

This in our judgment has been a weakness that is worth strengthening.
Long term benefits will no doubt accrue.

Internet content (mail, bulletin boards, web sites, chat rooms etc.)
These vehicles should be explored to the fullest. Many
patients/caregivers are confined or distanced from valuable information
and help. Anything we can do to deliver helpful information to those who
can benefit from it will be useful in both the short and long term.
Those already on this list serve no doubt understand that. Since there
really is no traffic cop for all this sharing, individual discretion and
collective fast learning on how to manage content and distribution will
create the best balance of information, and humor that leads to
effective action.

New PD and PD related web sites are appearing weekly. This sharing will
no doubt help our cause.

This is our nickle for today. We welcome feedback.
Nancy and Bob Martone