>Date:    Fri, 7 Mar 1997 17:49:35 -0500
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: NBC's Today show
>From the Parkinson's Action Network
>I've heard there was a story on NBC's Today show this morning about a
>woman with Parkinson's and the improvements she has made since her
>neural cell transplantation operation.
>Did anyone see it?  Does anyone have a tape of it?

Susanne, who was on the Today show, was also on the Donahue show last year.
She's a writer here in Los Angeles,  is  about my age and was diagnosed
about the same time.   To quote the old  song, "If you knew Susie, like I
know Susie, Oh,Oh, Oh what a girl."   A bright and beautiful person, the
kind who lights up a room when she enters it, she's been a kind and
supportive friend as we've compared notes over the years.

Susie has chosen an unusual path.  She refuses to take Sinemet, and fully
believes she  can conquer her PD without it.   In the year since her neural
implant operation at the Hospital of the Good Samaritan, she said it's
been "three steps forward, two steps back" every day.   Her window of
on-times is growing, and she always takes advantage of them by "working
out" even if at first that meant lurching from lamppost to lamppost in a
walk around the block.  Encouraged by her sister, she began studying Tae
Kwon Do,  meriting a yellow belt after mastering its kicks and twirls.
That's what prompted the recent TV interview.

The Today Show segment was a surprise to her.  It had started as just a
local news item, then was picked up by the network.  They're sending her a
tape this week.

Susie doesn't have internet access at the  moment.  She gave me permission
to post  this to the list.  If anyone wants to contact her, e-mail me
privately and I'll pass the message along to her.

Mary, 49, diagnosed 1990