Barb Bates asked about the clay I mentioned in an earlier letter (I
downloaded that letter at the office and don't have it here at home). Barb,
I was referring to betonnite clay, an old standby for dredging heavy metals
out. It is also available at a health food store, either alone or in
combination with different detox formulas. Betonnite tends to be binding, so
be sure to use it in conjunction with a herbal laxative, or you might
explode  :) The article Jeff referred to recommended chelating, but I have
not tried that. How bout anyone else out there??

The first improvement I experienced was more energy, and oddly, better
sleep. I think I metabolized meds better also, because I have very little
problem with uneven response anymore unless I splurge on peanuts or ice
cream or something high protein. I still use about half the meds I was using
1.5 - 2 years ago. Mainly, I just plain ole felt better. My elimination
system definitely worked much better than it had in many moons.

This kind of detox doesn't target the liver...it is more of an elimination,
blood, lymph purifier, although there is probably benefit to the whole body.
I found a lot of odd approaches to liver cleansing such as kombuchu, and
various other unfamiliar substances. But everything I read seemed to tout
the benefits of the milk thistle, so that's the route I took. I guess it may
be time to look at that topic again.

On another topic, the Life Extension group just published an article on
something called SAMe, which I don't know anything about. Some of the
research looks interesting, I pasted in part of the article below. A brief
web search of SAMe turned up very little. Does anyone have info on this??

L-Dopa and Serotonin
In a recent study from the National Institute of Neuroscience Japan,
 researchers demonstrated that the serotonin inhibitor, para-
chlorophenylalanine  (PCPA) decreases dopamine activity, which
L-Dopa does not restore. However; intravenous serotonin does restore
dopamine activity after PCPA therapy. This study implicates a completely
new pathway in dopamine production and maintenance that L-Dopa does
not affect. It opens a new avenue of PD research. It doesnot mean that PD
patients can cure themselves by taking serotonin- PD is an extremely
complicated
disease which involves free radicals,among other things, but it does open up
exciting possibilities.
Research shows that L-Dopa quits working after about 4 years. Some
of the new research on the interaction between dopamine and serotonin
seems to indicate that the ultimate failure of L-Dopa may relate to its
depletion of serotonin. In a study in Neuroscience Letters in 1993, it was
shown that PD patients have significantly decreased levels of dopamine
and serotonin in their cerebral spinal fluid. Patients treated with L- dopa
have
even less serotonin than untreated patients (although they have increased
dopamine). The depression that a lot of PD patients have may be a result of
the
loss of serotonin, both from the disease itself and from L-Dopa treatment.
It is
important to note that the drug Selegiline (Deprenyl),which is often used in
PD patients
to keep L-Dopa effective longer, increases serotonin

Thanks,

Kathie Tollifson
46/8