Hi MR JOHN C FAUS <[log in to unmask]>, you wrote

>I'm still working full-time (not saying it's a breeze) with the
>almost comical "accommodation" that "when circumstances allow", I
>have clearance from the CEO to depart at 4:45 p.m.
>To date, I remain puzzled and somewhat disturbed
>by the boss' convoluted response to a seemingly benign request -- i.e.
> the "circumstances allowing" disclaimer and that my request was
>being granted in light of my "years of service." Makes me wonder what
>I'll be up against if/when I ask for a REAL accommodation like
>"telecommuting" a couple of days a week.

If it's any help, John, I can understand your boss's position: he only
really wants productive people on his team - well, it stands to reason,
doesn't it. So long as you don't start playing on your invalidity (which
game, like most bosses, he will have had played on him at various points
in his managerial career) and you continue to produce good results, he
should be quite amenable to the odd concession as you need it.

My own managerial experience suggests that altogether too high a
percentage of those who plead sickness are simply "swinging the lead",
and while you daren't question anyone's sickness without overwhelming
evidence, you KNOW that staff "going to the dentist" or "taking their
child to the doctor" are just going to job interviews - it makes you
pretty cynical, even of your long-known, trusted personnel.!

--
Jeremy Browne - [log in to unmask]
Shaking Hands BBS - +44 (0)1252 626233 - Fidonet 2:252/160