John C Faus wrote:

>I'm still working full-time (not saying it's a breeze) with the
>almost comical "accommodation" that "when circumstances
> allow", I have clearance from the CEO to depart at 4:45 p.m. >>

        .....and the best part,John is that he will be convinced
that he is really making a major concession, because, as Jeremy
put it.......

> If it's any help, John, I can understand your boss's position: he only
> really wants productive people on his team -

        ....and from his point of view that 15 minutes is not only
the thin edge of the wedge, it sets a precedent. It also means he
now has to spend time on policy which doesn't translate into profits.
He probably sees himself at the cutting edge of social change by
conceeding that 15 mins.

Jeremy later says:

> So long as you don't start playing on your  invalidity (which
> game, like most bosses, he will have had played on him at various points
in
> his managerial career) and you continue to produce good results, he
should be
> quite amenable to the odd concession as you need it. <<<<

        .....which leaves you neatly at catch 22, which in this
manifestation reads:-

        "You now have to be better than the next man to be
        nearly as good as he is............and if you can do that
        you are obviously not TOO disabled"

The 'rights' of the situation are obvious, the 'realities' equally so.
Society as a whole needs to move past the tokenism of providing
'things' for the disabled to a position where concern for the needs
of others is a knee jerk reaction.  Then we may see more than
lip service to the needs of the disabled.

        We shall also be living in cloud-cuckoo-land.

Meanwhile we live with T.S.Eliot's 'Hollow Men' for whom:

        Between the idea
        And the reality
        Between the motion
        And the act
        Falls the Shadow

John, give it your best shot, but don't be to surprised if
Jeremy's  "he should be quite amenable to the odd
concession as you need it" is totally accurate. Anything
more than "the odd concession" is not likely to be forth-
coming.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10