Hi [log in to unmask], you wrote
>In a message dated 97-03-11 00:46:38 EST, Jeremy Brown quotes John C Faus
>concerning "reasonable accomodation" and Parkinsons Disease:
>
><< MR JOHN C FAUS <[log in to unmask]>, you wrote
> >I'm still working full-time (not saying it's a breeze) with the
> >almost comical "accommodation" that "when circumstances
> > allow", I have clearance from the CEO to depart at 4:45 p.m. >>
>
>As Jeremy Brown then goes on to say
 So long as you don't start playing on your invalidity (which
game, like most bosses, he will have had played on him at various points
in his managerial career) and you continue to produce good results, he
should be quite amenable to the odd concession as you need it. <<<<

>Really, Jeremy.  I believe in an honest wage for an honest day's work but
>which Chas Dickens novels have we been reading of late?
>But,  I see no rent in the fabric, no tear, no
>indication of any distress in "dealing the cards the way they have been
>dealt.' To me, this isn't an accomodation the man is asking for

You misconstrue me, Don. I'm not defending John's manager's APPARENT
lack of humanity. I simply know (from my own experience as a manager)
that quite often, if you give an inch they will take a mile. It doesn't
happen so often in a well-managed, well-motivated team, but as a manager
one is between the directors and the employees, quite possibly with more
sympathy for the latter than the former. If you have had to implement
some hard or unpopular policies, your best motivation efforts can be
blown!

>... it is more similar to a prisoner having to ask  permission to open the
>door through which he must  pass to reach his cell.
>  And to tell him he can
>leave 15 minutes early, when time and circumstances permit, due to his
>"condition" and predicated on his years of trustworthy service to me sounds
>very suspiciously ungracious and paternalistic.

Of COURSE that would be inappropriate and archaic. However, employees
often bring these attitudes upon themselves: while I was still working,
I took pains to talk to my bosses and would rarely ASK for time off for
responsible use of time on my own behalf. I would TELL my boss that I
was going to take off (say) fifteen minutes early "unless he had any
reasonable objections". Naturally this is easier to do as a more mature
employee, and I always made it clear that I would not abuse the
priviledges I was taking on myself - I gave many more hours than I was,
in theory, paid for..

Building relationships in an organisation is not just down the ladder -
I always felt it was important to relate well to my boss - it stood me
in good stead!

--
Jeremy Browne - [log in to unmask]
Shaking Hands BBS - +44 (0)1252 626233 - Fidonet 2:252/160