John,

You wrote:

> My advise is that when you believe that you are being eased out, cut the
> best deal you can; don't fight it.  The employer generally, and the
manager
> specifically, feels guilty, and wants to ease his guilt.

I was able to turn retreat into a 'phased withdrawal' by approaching my
regional manager with a (fully worked out) plan.  I explained my situation,
slightly overstated my limitations (building in leeway, I didn't spend 20
years
in middle managment for nothing) and asked to be demoted to a job I could
easily handle.  He was happy to accomodate me.  This extended my working
life by more than 4 years.

At the end of that four year period I found myself once more stretching my
capacity to handle even the less stressfull job and I was eased out within
6 weeks of the arrival of a new broom.

Some three months later I happened to meet the new broom at a party.  With
tears in his eyes he told me that I had caused him 'one of the worst days'
of his
life.  Frankly, at that time I didn't give a damn.

Truth be told,  on that score I still don't.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10