I take symmetrel (amantadine) and I like it!  My Parkinson's is not at an
advanced stage.  I did try l-dopa and, yes, it made me more, as Beth wrote,
"fully functional."  But it also gave me dyskinesia, which I didn't like.
I find that I'm able to function quite well with amantadine -- even as,
again quoting Beth, "a guy with wife/family to support."

The one drawback of the amantadine for me is constipation, for which I take
cisaprid (propulsid).

By the way, I'm taking parlodel along with the amantadine.  The
amantadine at 3X/day alone worked best for me, but it was too
constipating, even with cisaprid.  So I now take it 2X/day, along with
parlodel and eldepryl.

I'm trying to stay off l-dopa as long as possible.  That's just my
decision (in consultation with my neurologist).  But, of course, everyone
has to find his or her own best medication plan.

Charlie Barasch
Plainfield, VT