>Should a worldwide YOPWP listserv (young onset persons with Parkinson's)
>be created?

It seems to me that if we split this list into YOPWP and others - do we call
them OOPWP or NOPWP? (O for "old" or N for "normal") - each group would miss
out on valuable contributions by the other.  The two groups still share many
common questions, experiences, problems, and solutions.

Our preference for a local support group meeting face-to-face is the
opposite.  In that case, because there are relatively few people compared to
the numbers on the net, we found a young-onset support group to be a
lifesaver.  The issues are indeed very different when you're dealing with
employment, young families, sex, sports and physical activities, planning for
the future (when you're looking at supporting yourself or your family for
many, many years yet know your working years will be cut short).

We have found the PD net has enough YOPWP that it addresses the issues we've
dealt with or are dealing with just as well as our young-onset support group
did.  Sheer numbers of participants seem to make the difference.

I guess it would be interesting to hear from the older-onset people on the
list (or their caregivers) about whether they mind just skipping over or
deleting all the letters dealing with young-onset issues.  As for us, the
issues the older folks are dealing with are ones we may have to deal with
someday ourselves.  While we might not pay close attention now, we are at
least getting some vague ideas about nursing homes and other things we may
want to know about one day.

Perhaps those of us who pay a flat rate for unlimited online time have a
different perspective than those who pay by the minute.  Is the time/cost
factor the real issue here?  If so, some of our resident computer gurus can
probably offer some helpful suggestions.      Margie Swindler     cg for
Dick, 52/15    [log in to unmask]