Dennis, you wrote.....

>Some three months later I happened to meet the new broom at a party.  With
>tears in his eyes he told me that I had caused him 'one of the worst days'
>of his life.  Frankly, at that time I didn't give a damn.
>
>Truth be told,  on that score I still don't.

Dennis, you pointed out the important issue;  the only thing that counts to
you is the benifits you walk away with, not feelings, and not "feel good"
because you made it easier on the manager.  Managers will be very
compassionate before or as they walk you to the door.  Once you are out the
door, you have no leverage.  Put down on paper what you want, with time
frames. Get a tacit understanding and agreement before you approach the
manager (or you are approached) to leave.

I've been on both sides of the issue.  Doing it this way is comfortable for
all parties and gives the manager a defendable position.  He will be able to
defend the agreement to his superior by saying that if he didn't do the
"deal", there is the unspoken, but very real, problem of ADA.  And best of
all, from the manager's perspective, his P&L statement looks better, he has
an open slot to add a head, he has "solved" a problem (you), and he is again
"lean and mean".  This picture may not be pretty, but it is reality.