Lisa wrote:
>does any one know any more about the complete loss of desire (sexual)
>and sinemet, are there any legit studies?  any info?  Help my marrage is
>in jeopardy...

Hello Lisa:
Here are a few "legit studies" on sexual function and PD. These abstracts
and millions of others can be found by searching MEDLINE. This is a free
source, one of the websites MEDLINE can be accessed is http://www.healthgate.com

Title
Sexual problems in young patients with Parkinson's
disease.
Author
        Wermuth L; Stenager E
Address
Department of Neurology, Odense University Hospital,
Denmark.
Source
        Acta Neurol Scand, 1995 Jun, 91:6, 453-5
Abstract
        The purpose of this study was to describe sexual function in a
representative group of young patients with Parkinson's disease PD).
Twenty-five patients (15 men, 10 women; age range 36-56 yrs) participated in
a structured interview on sexual function.
Forty percent of the men and 70% of the women reported changed libido while
33.4% of the men and 80% of the women experienced changed sexual activity
after onset of PD. A tendency to changes in libido and sexual function was
seen with increasing time of treatment and advanced Hoehn-Yahr stages. It is
concluded that changes in libido and sexual function occur more frequently
than previously reported, especially in women, and more attention should be
paid to these problems.
Language of Publication
        LA=ENG
Unique Identifier
        96012346
===================
Title
Treatment of fluoxetine-induced sexual dysfunction with
bupropion: a case report.
Author
        Labbate LA; Pollack MH
Address
        Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, Washington, D.C.
20307.
Source
        Ann Clin Psychiatry, 1994 Mar, 6:1, 13-5
Abstract
Antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction is a common and significant cause
of patient distress and noncompliance with treatment. A number of adjunctive
pharmacologic strategies, including yohimbine, cyproheptadine, bethanechol,
and amantadine, have been employed previously. We report a case of using
bupropion to treat fluoxetine-induced sexual dysfunction in a 50-year-old
man with a history of recurrent major depression. This is the first case of
such treatment we know. Sexual dysfunction induced by fluoxetine is thought
secondary to effects on the serotonin system. Bupropion is an antidepressant
with minimal sexual side effects. The mechanism by which bupropion resolved
this sexual dysfunction is unknown, but it may be related to its mild
dopamine uptake blockade. Language of Publication
        LA=ENG
Unique Identifier
        95039219
=================
Title
Utility of the sickness impact profile in Parkinson's
disease.
Author
        Longstreth WT Jr; Nelson L; Linde M; MuAnoz D
Address
Division of Neurology, Harborview Medical Center,
Seattle, WA 98104-2499.
Source
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol, 1992 Jul-Sep, 5:3, 142-8
Abstract
The Sickness Impact Profile (SIP) is a questionnaire consisting of 136 items
grouped into 12 categories and two dimensions (physical and psychosocial).
To characterize its utility in Parkinson's disease (PD), we administered the
SIP to 44 consecutive clinic patients with PD. Compared to 44 age- and
sex-matched control subjects, PD patients had their greatest dysfunction in
the categories of mobility, communication, and home management. The two
items that PD patients most commonly endorsed were, "I am having trouble
writing or typing" (75%) and, "My sexual activity is decreased" (61%). In
general, these treated PD patients had greater dysfunction in the
psychosocial than physical dimensions. Two simple PD-specific scales
correlated well with the
physical dimension score but less so with the psychosocial dimension,
suggesting that the SIP assesses more functional domains than the
PD-specific scales used. The SIP holds some promise as a broad measure of
functional status in PD patients.
Language of Publication
        LA=ENG
Unique Identifier
        92360126

>Date:  Fri, 7 Mar 1997 05:40:00 -0500
>Sender: "Parkinson's Information Exchange" <[log in to unmask]>
>From: LISA CRUMRINE <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Antw: Female sexuality and sinemet
>To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Ida Kamphuis wrote:
>>
>> Pine,  you wrote
>>
>> > inemet.  When it is working optimally, I feel quite sexy; when I'm
>> > "off," I could care less, which is just as well, since performance is
>> > impossible.  All I am capable of then is what my husband calls the "dead
>> > elk syndrome:" just lie there and do nothing.
>> >
>> > Naturally, fatigue plays a role, as it does with everyone.  If sexual
>> > encounters are timed so they take place when energy and interest are at
>> > their peak, it can be a rewarding experience.
>>
>> Dear Pine
>>
>> I have the same experience you have. Sinemet working as a aphrodisiacum, but
>> only with good timing. I am not an exception. In personal contacts the
same has
>> been told about 10 times. But it is neither a rule. The loss of all sexual
>> sexual feeling is no exception too.  And even in betrween; no change is
>> possible.
>>
>>                       Ida Kamphuis
>>                                Holland
>does any one know any more about the complete loss of desire (sexual)
>and sinemet, are there any legit studies?  any info?  Help my marrage is
>in jeopardy...

Margaret Tuchman (55yrs, Dx 1980)- NJ-08540