Dennis (and others interested in Tai-Chi),

One of the beauties of Tai-Chi is that it has so many levels. It is not
like some of the other martial arts, judo & karate for example, where you
have a linear progression to higher "belts."  There is a place in Tai-Chi
for just about everyone.  My instructors teach a saber form to advanced
students.  However for me, as a PWP, I have difficulty seeing myself
jumping about swinging a saber for exercise.  However, one of them has
offered to teach me a cane form as I advance in my practice.

A recent study sponsored by the National Institute on Aging (USA-NIA) found that
Tai-Chi (also spelled in the West as T'ai Chi or Taiji) was the only
exercise/activity to show a statistically significant decrease in the
number of
falls among the elderly study participants.  The Tai-Chi practitioners
recorded a 25% decrease in injuries from falls. (Published in the May
3,1995 issue of the
Journal of American Medical Association.  I got this info from my instructor.)
While at 46, I don't consider myself elderly!  I think most PWP have
balance problems to varying degree.

I think that you will find that Tai-Chi instructors put varying emphasis on
the martial aspects vs health aspects of the exercise.  My instructors were
certified by Choy Kam Man in the Yang style.  While they teach "pushing
hands," some self-defense applications, and saber form, they put emphasis
on the health benefits of practicing form.  They teach a 54 movement
"short" form that most people of any age can do (it takes about 12-15
minutes to go through this form).
The traditional Yang long form (108 movements) takes about 25 minutes to
practice.  Like many Tai-Chi instructors, they have also developed a
special short form of 36 movements for beginning students.

I would recommend to PWP that they look around for an instructor who
teaches a short form.  It will not have some of the turns and kicks that
may create balance problems.  My instructors teach that even if you don't
advance beyond a short form, it has definite health benefits.  They say the
important thing is to "practice, practice, practice."  A short form takes
very little space and can be practiced in doors or out.  No special
equipment or clothing is required.  I believe that most PWP will find that
if they practice a short form twice a day for about 15 minutes, they will
notice improvement in their balance and mobility.

There are also Tai-Chi Chi-Kung exercises.  Some of these can be done while
sitting in a chair.  If a person has great difficulty with balance, this
may be the place to begin.  I believe that even if a person cann't do a
form, the basic Tai-Chi exercises will be helpful.
                          Charley Countryman (46/6)  [log in to unmask]