Joao,

Your question why not only Sinemet is interesting.  However, I see the
group using only Sinemet as another possible solution to the experiment of
treating PD. I see my Neurologist's recommendation as another possible
solution.  With this particular problem, PD, I think that there are
probably multiple causes behind the loss of dopamine in the substantia
nigra and the striatum.  This suggests multiple solutions to me.

I don't believe that my Neuro. looks at me as a subject for
experimentation.  But I like to look at myself as a subject (in a positive
sense).  It makes having PD more interesting.  My Neuro's opinion is that
younger patients should postpone the use of Sinemet, if possible, and later
minimize its use.  Maybe because he's Board Certified in both Neurology and
Psychiatry, he did a good job
explaining to me his reasoning.  (From what I've observed on this list and
elsewhere, many other Dr's don't seem to do a very good job of explaining
medications to their patients.)  He also, to a great extent, left it up to
me to decide when I was ready for Sinemet.

So I have taken my Dr's opinion as a hypothesis to test.  Will using
different combinations of other drugs before and along with Sinemet be an
effective long term treatment for PD (for me)?  I don't know.  I'm not yet
ready to change my little experiment though.  I'm expecting that it will
lead to some dark places to explore along the way as the disease
progresses.  But it should be interesting to continue to share my
experiences with others on this list.
     Sincerely, Charley Countryman (46/6)  [log in to unmask]