I've enjoyed lurking, reading and learning about PD. My mother-in-law is
76, and has had "something" wrong with her for about 3 years. Six months
ago she was diagnosed with PD. She doesn't have much of a tremor, but
she does fit many other of the symptoms. She has dyskenisia while
sleeping, sleeps practically round the clock, is severely depressed and
anxious, and is currently in the hospital with pneumonia.

She and my father-n-law are living in an area with no relatives or
friends nearby to help. Just recently Dad arranged with a church group
to have a nurse practitioner, a nurse's aide, and a physical therapist
come to the house to visit, each coming three times a week. That's
helped alittle, because now Mom has some contact with other people.

She refuses to become involved in any type of support group or even a
senior citizen's center. She just wants to stay home and have everyone
leave her alone. Dad complies with that request. (Their relationship has
been rocky, and he's glad to ignore her most of the day.)

Her medication consists solely of 3 Permax tablets daily.

I want to support them, obviously. But I also want to give them concrete
suggestions on how they can help Mom live her life to the fullest. Dad
isn't willing/able to be her advocate. He just coasts along with
whatever seems to be happening.

I'm welcome to any suggestions on any aspect of this situation.

By the way, we live 10 hours away from them, so it's extremely difficult
for us to drop in and visit. How can we help long-distance? It really
seems as if Mom is just waiting to die. When we call, she can only talk
for a few minutes, as it wears her out. She is either sleeping or lying
still with eyes closed much of the day...she shuts out anyone who tries
to talk with her or help.

This is so heart-breaking....

thanks, all.

Maggie Heeger