From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of A. Dale Severance
Sent:   Monday, March 17, 1997 3:04 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Looking for central New Yorkers by Dale Severance

DALE SEVERANCE
1 Handhewn Way
Manlius, NY  13104
March 17, 1997

Dear  Support Member:

My name is Dale Severance and I am a new member of the Syracuse Support
Group. I was born and raised  in Syracuse but left town at the age of
sixteen and did not return  until March  1, 1997.   I am 56 years old and
have had Parkinson's Disease for nine years. I was a lawyer with my own firm
practicing  Worker's Compensation Law for  thirty three years in Brooklyn,
New York.   Parkinson's Disease  in conjunction with a back injury finally
compelled  me to retire on December 23,  1996.

I still had some energy left so I  began searching  for an outlet for my
spare time.. I joined a  support group sponsored by the Parkinson's Disease
Foundation associated  with Columbia Presbyterian Hospital. While attending
meetings there I became aware of the inequitable  distribution of Federal
Funds for Parkinson's Disease research.

I decided to become active in the political process to help secure the
passage in 1997 of the Udall PD research Bill by both Houses of Congress.. I
now spend as much of my on time as possible with PD lobbying activities.

I am in  frequent  contact with the leaders of the political movement  and
with PAN  ( Parkinson Action Network) to stay current and to assist the
lobbying effort..

The Bill will be publicly presented to Congress on April 9, 1997 when
Congress returns from recess.

I am writing this letter to encourage you to attend the next support meeting
on  April 8, 1997. Please try and attend it will be a very informative
meeting. Marion will report on the Rochester Symposium we attended last
Saturday and I will bring everyone up to date on the Political Movement. By
the way both NY Senators have agreed to cosponsor the Bill.
If you can not attend please call me and I will bring you up to speed. I
still drive and if you can travel by car, but you ride is unavailable,  call
me and I will be glad to bring you to the meeting.

Now I am asking a favor from you.  Our local Representative Jim Walsh has
not agreed to sponsor the bill in Congress. I have called his office in
Washington to make an appointment to visit him at his Syracuse Office to
discuss his failure to support the bill. I want  to look him in the eyes and
challenge him to say no to a group of handicapped constituents. I would like
as many of you, your care divers,your family members and friends to join me
there to tell him how PD has devestitated our lives. The appointment will be
at his office in the Federal building in downtown Syracuse NY. Between
March 23, 1997 and April 9, 1997.
Please call me at 1-315-682-3161 if there is any possibility of your joining
the group going to see Rep. Walsh.

This is really important.  You can still help even if you can not attend.
Call me and I will have suggestions for you. Don't  wait for your ship to
come in row out to meet it.......now is the chance to make a meaningful
change in our life stiles. There are too many of us   marching   to the
wheel chair and eventually an invalid status. We can change that process
with medical research dollars. We are close to new medicines, surgical
procedures and possible a cure.

Participate now Call Me.  315-682-3161

Dale Severance.

[Typist's initials]