Hi.... at long last. First off, I want to thank you all for your
comments and suggestions -- all of which helped me sort out a number
of  issues concerning my current position and what may be looming
over the horizon.

Second, I apologize for not replying sooner, but it was a "barn
burner" of a week which has kept me at the office past 8 pm every
night. While this presents quite a paradox with respect to the
"negotiated 4:45 pm departure time", be assured that the long hours
exacted a price --   migraine and exacerbated symptoms which side-
lined me through the weekend.

Next, my reply to each of the respondents to my original posting
(Sorry if I missed you, but the daily volume of posts necessitates
some pretty slipshod scanning on my part.)

To Jeremy Browne:

The one major complaint I  have about  the long hours I've been
putting in recently is that I have had precious little time to play
on  my "invalidity". Seriously, I realize that your intention was to
offer a  perspective on the CEO's response to my condition, and in so
doing, you have essentially underscored the premise of the Americans
With Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1992 (sounds like the UK has yet to
enact similar legislation). And while I still enjoy a solid rapport
with my boss, he has set the precedent of dealing with my medical
condition on a formal, documented basis (for which I find no fault),
compelling  me to respond in kind. That doesn't entail a
confrontative approach but rather objective, business-like
correspondence stating my case for the next "accommodation". Jeremy,
while I had some initial difficulty digesting your message, I
appreciated the "wake-up call".

Per your follow-up note, the CEO is aware if the nature of my PD
through  observing the progression of the disease for five years from
the time he became officially aware of my condition in May of 1992. I
should also point out  that the boss had responded in a supportive
manner -- recognizing the hardship it imparts at home as well as at
work -- and also stated that the firm will make every effort "to
accommodate me" in dealing with the PD.  Now, in rather short order,
I'll be finding out the extent to which the words will translate into
deeds.

To John Morey:

Your observations as a former consultant were sobering to say the
least. You could be the "star on your team" but if your win-loss
record starts to falter, your days are numbered. While the ADA does
not insulate disabled Americans from that fate in the longrun, it
affords them the opportunity to affect changes (aka "reasonable
accommodations") in the workplace which will extend their
productivity within the firm. Importantly, the onus rests squarely on
the disabled employee to proactively lobby for these changes. Thanks
for writing,  John.

To Don Anderson (aka Sandrodent):

Your response to Jeremy's observations were a much more socially
acceptable rendition of my initial reaction. But after a three-day
cooling off period, I was able to see that Jeremy's aim  was to
represent a brazen attitude that probably characterizes the CEO
"norm". Moreover, seeing that it took me 7+ years to finally discuss
the PD "publically" (in conjunction with a now battered state of
denial), I can sense Jeremy's attraction to the opportunity of a
brief sabatical from the otherwise full-time role of PWP. I enjoyed
the Dicksonian references, Don, as well as your "pen name" (there's
got to be a story behind that!).

To Nancy Mullen:

Hi, NEIGHBOR! I'm out in Highland Park and have a sister-in-law in
Skokie, my wife works at Rush North Shore Med. Ctr. so I'm very
familiar with your locale. We should compare notes on neuro's,
especially the ones to steer clear of. As to napping at lunch hour, I
do occasionally close my office door
and hold calls in an effort to nod off for a few minutes. I find that
a short catnap sufficiently re-charges the batteries where as a full-
fledged siesta will put me in a fog for the rest of the day. The mini-
snooze preceded by low-protein lunch and followed by a walk around
the block seems to be an effective combination in my case.

Regarding the notion of moving to the city, I'm fortunate in the
sense that  I'm not yet experiencing any major problems with
mobility/commuting  as long as I time the meds right. Also, working
downtown, public transp eliminates the need for me to drive (and the
world is a better place for it). As for my wife, Carol, becoming the
primary wage earner, we're assuming that will eventually be the case.
For eight years, she's been employed with a medical practice, serving
as office manager since '94.  Based on the progression of the PD, I
hoping to string out another 2-3 years full-time -- assuming I can
"negotiate" part-time telecommuting as an "accommodation". I'm in the
process of investigating free-lance options in the event I part ways
with my curremt employer.

Your suggestion concerning vocational counseling/rehab is intriguing,
and I plan to follow-up on this at the next local YPSN meeting (3/18).

Nancy, thanks for writing.

To Dennis Green:

The "Catch 22" situation is a big part of my frustration on the job.
In order to keep pace with my productivity of, say three years ago, I
have learned to "work smarter" (delegating more, scheduling tasks in
line with peak energy/performance periods, etc.). But inevitably, I'm
slower -- certainly in terms of motor skills (e.g. reading and word
processing) and to some extent, thought processes during "off"
periods or when functioning  with under four hours of sleep. And how
do I compensate? I work longer hours than most managers at my firm,
but hey, I STILL HAVE CLEARANCE TO LEAVE AT 4:45 pm!!

.... uh "when circumstances permit". Go figure.

Per your follow-up note regarding the "easing out process", I fully
intend to exercise my rights under the ADA in terms of seeking and
being granted reasonable accommodations aimed at extending my
employability. The trick is to be well-versed on the parameters of
"reasonable accommodations", which are more protective than one might
think. As for considering a demotion on order to buy more employment
time, I'm known as somewhat of an "independent thinker" (aka has a
problem with authority figures) which doesn't make this option very
amenable in the long-run.

I appreciated your insights, Dennis.

To Ida Kamphuis:

Unfortunately, your note was  one of those which I inadvertently
zapped in wading through the 75 or so daily postings. However, I
spotted Jeremy's reply to your correspondence repudiating his
"management perspective" and the admonishment of "not playing on (my)
invalidity". I think at this point, Jeremy has been fully censured
for briefly (and I believe innocently) "jumping to the other side"
(as a MW/OP, "manager without Parkinsons"). Beyond this, Jeremy's
views probably are an accurate portrayal of the workplace in the 90's
and beyond -- where the disabled (or challenged) employee must meet
the objective, "bottom line" corporate mentality with an equally
pragmatic assessment of his/her performance and legal rights.

Thanks for joining in the discussion.