I'm sure there are those on the List who are more expert than I am because
I haven't applied yet, but here's my 2 cents.  I have been told ever since
I heard about SSDI that you should NEVER apply without the services of a
consultant, or whatever you want to call them.  The laws were written with
them in mind, witness the regulations regarding how much their "take" can
be, and it is difficult to get approved without them.  A friend of mine
just got approved after 2 years of trying with the help of an outfit in
Chicago he swears by.  (He has Lymes Disease, not PD, which isn't even on
their "list" ).  The consultant got $4,000, the max allowed, of the back
pay and his LTD co. got most of the rest.  But he got all the COL
adjustment money for the two year period and now he's eligible for
Medicare, the 2 year waiting period having been fulfulled.  I'll get the
name for you if you want.

There's a law firm in Philadelphia called Binder and Binder that
specializes in it.  They advertise themselves as the only national law firm
handling SSDI claims; it doesn't matter if they're lawyers, all they can
get is up to $4,000 of back pay.  I'm told you get better service with any
of them if you wait before putting in a claim so you can claim back
benefits, which allows the firm their share.  They have a catchy 800 #,
which wasn't catchy enough for me to remember; just try 800 Information.

There's also a woman on this List who is involved with a clinic or
something and says they provide same type of service successfully for less
of a cut.

As to your questions re, "what kind of a system is this?" etc., all I can
do is smile.  I worked for the Fed Govenment for 4 years, and the SSA is by
far not the worst of it.

B. Bruce Anderson (51,2)