Jim,

Glad you liked my message to Ashcroft.

 I have a couple of questions you may be able to answer. In his letter to
me, he claimed that the NINDS of th NIH is principally responsible for
Federal research funding for pd. In addition, other NIH institutes are
also responsible for funding .  He adds that funding levels for all of
the NIH in FY 1996 was 73.8 million.

What does that mean?  Do they fund themselves or simply determine where
the money will go?  Is that $73.8 million figure correct?  That's chicken
feed for the whole NIH!

Also, is NIh the only beneficiary of Udall money, or may other research
centers apply as well?

Awaiting your reply.

Pat

PS I don't blame d'Amato for caving in.  That Lupe can be a formidable
person, bless her heart.  Will you be going to Washington in June?  I'm
going to try to make it.

  pine`