Sinemet and Fatigue (20 Mar 1997)
Of possible interest to others on this list, I'd like to share
this recent experience, and ask if anyone else has had it too:
In my (fairly) early stage of PD, I now take the equivalent of
half a 25/100 Sinemet every 3 hours or so (depending on how
soundly I sleep at night). The "end-of-dose" warning comes in the
form of fatigue and depression. Partly to keep in shape, I still
do yard work, with a shovel, lugging heavy stuff, etc. I notice
that any concentrated effort, either physical or mental, seems to
increase the need for Sinemet.
After about a half hour of work, whether it's physical labor or
just doing the daily crossword, I start getting back pain, always
in the upper thoracic area but not always the same exact spot. I
might otherwise ignore the fatigue and just keep on working, but
the pain quickly intensifies until I must lie down. After a few
minutes I'm fine again. Advancing the Sinemet schedule does the
same thing. It "kicks in" in 15 to 20 minutes, sometimes sooner.
If I take it easy for a day or so, I can resume the usual 3-hour
interval.
This tells me that in addition to the steady depletion of dopamine
in the body, there is some kind of storage site where a basic
level needs to be maintained. When you start withdrawing your
"principal" faster than the rate of replenishment, you soon get in
trouble. It also tells me that dopamine affects muscles. Normal
fatigue is accompanied by pain, because muscles can't get rid of
lactic acid, or whatever it is, fast enough, and dopamine helps
them do that. I've written here before about the urgent need for
more info about how dopamine acts 'outside' of the central nervous
system, and this experience seems to emphasize that point.
Comment, anyone? Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road