John Allee wrote:

> IN 1956 I WAS A PRIVAE IN THE US ARNY ASSIGNED TO A UNIT THAT  DETONATED
> ATOMIC AND HYDROGEN BOMBS.  I ASSUME I WAS  EXPOSED TO MORE RADIATION
> THAN WOULD BE  CONSIDERED PRUDENT TODAY.  MY ONLY RALTH PROBLEM SINCE
> 1956 HAS BEEN PD WHCH I DEVELOPED IN  THE EARLY 1980'S.
> ARE  ANY OF YOU AWARE OF ANY EVIDENCE ,SCINTIFIC OR ANECDOTAL,
> LINKNG PD AND  AND RADIATON FOM NUCLEAR WEAPONS?
John,
A year or two before you were exposed to radiation in the Army, I
received X-Ray treatments for swollen adenoids. Many people who received
those treatments as children have had cancer as adults, mostly of the
thyroid gland. I think that I got Parkinson's Disease instead of cancer.
I was diagnosed with PD two years ago at the age of 46. There is no
history of it in my family. Unlike many PWP, at one time I was a heavy
cigarette smoker. The only explanation I can deduce for my Parkinson's
is the X-Ray treatments I had as a child. So, it is a good possibility
that your PD, as well as mine, is a result of exposure to excessive
radiation in the 1950's. I would like to hear from any fellow PD'ers
who were treated with X-Rays or Radium for swollen tonsils and/or
adenoids.
John Testa
Rochester, New York