I've been looking in on the list for the last couple of months after a couple
month absence.  I am glad to see the list is still here.  Now I feel I must
contribute something.
A few days ago a friend gave me a copy of "Pharmacy Times" for Feb. this
year.  It contains a lecture in print on the different treatments for PD.
 The first thing that su rprised me is that I could understand it, since I
have no formal education in that field.  Most of the information is stuff I
had already seen on the list of learned from other sources.
I have been taking Sinemet 25/100 every 3 - 4 hoursfor many years.
I started taking Sinemet CR for about 2 years and had no real relief from it.
 I had been taking one a day before bed and my neuro suggested morning and
evening doses.
My third med is trihexyphenidyl HCL  2mg tab, morning and evening.

In the article in "Pharmacy Times" I learned that the Sinemet CR should not
be crushed or chewed, no explanation.
That was Wednesday evening when I read the article.  I have always chewed the
CR for no good reason other than it doesn't taste bad.  That night I started
swallowing it whole.  It was an over night sensation.  My tremors are much
less extreme.  My balance has improved and my stamina has increased
dramatically.  (Before Wed I could barely walk a quarter mile without having
to sit and relax for a few hours.  Now a quarter mile is nothing.)

My question is this: does anybody have an explanation for this?  Why must the
CR be taken whole?

Jim Myrick
[log in to unmask]             A survivor; never a victim.  Not today anyway.