As I promised early last week, after attending my PD support group's
discussion today which presented a speech pathologist from UCLA Medical
Center, I'm reporting back to the List members what was said about this new
collagen treatment.

The treatment takes about 5 minutes, and no sedation is involved.  The results
are immediate.   It does not profess to "cure" anything, nor can it help the
patient suffering from poor enunciation, i.e., the inability to pronounce
words correctly so that they sound right to the listener.  It DOES
significantly help the individual who has problems maintaining the proper
passage of air thru the vocal cords.

This is a common problem for persons with PD.  Prior to the treatment, an
individual with this problem cannot direct enough air thru the two vocal cords
because the vocal cords are more flaccid and relaxed then is needed to push
the sound out.  After the treatment, the vocal cords regain their firmness,
thus causing the tones to be fuller and louder.

The initial treatment lasts from 3 to 5 months, and then another is needed.
The second and any subsequent treatments last longer with each treatment so
there IS accumulated benefits...

This treatment is performed by Dr. Berke at UCLA, and so far, he's the only
physician performing it.  It costs $500, and IS covered by Medicare and most
health plans (in the USA) as this is not an experimental treatment using
heretofore untested drugs or products.

The use of collagen has been approved by the FDA some years ago, and at this
time there are two types of collagen in use.  Bovine collagen and autogeneous
collagen.  The latter is created from the patient's own body by "harvesting" a
tiny patch of skin and culturing it to grow additional collagen from it.

For the faint at heart, the collagen is transferred directly to the vocal
cords by an injection into each cord.   The two injections are not any more
painful than any other shot, however, the initial response amongst all of us
who sat there enthralled by the prospect of this treatment, upon hearing of
the injections, was an instant and resounding "YUCK!" <grin>

I plan on calling Dr. Berke for an appointment ASAP, and if I go ahead with
this treatment, I'll report back to the List members.

For those who are interested in more information or making an appointment, the
phone number to Dr. Berke's office (in the ear-nose-throat field of medicine)
is
(310) 206-6688.

Barb Mallut