So what is Petanque, someone asks!

>Petanque is also called BOCCHIA in France, Italy, until now it was most
>known in the Southern part of Europe, and because so many people are
>travelling now a day we also play it in Denmark. I`ts difficult to explain
>in English, but I`ll try. W have a litle red ball called "the pig", and
>each person have 3 balls then we have to come so near as possible with
>another ball to this "pig", and the winner is the person who are nearest to
>the "pig"

The French call it "boules" and it makes use (traditionally) of heavy
silver metal balls, which you hurl (usually underarm) at the smaller
wooden ball, the "pig" (sometimes known [as in green bowls] as the
"jack", but this is incorrect). In Spain & France they play it on any
convenient stretch of sand or gravel - the village square, for instance.

--
Jeremy Browne - [log in to unmask]
Shaking Hands BBS - +44 (0)1252 626233 - Fidonet 2:252/160