Forrests Mom wrote:

> Hi List, I found this because my father was having a bad day where is hand
> and arm tremor was particularly worst. My mother ice-packed his arm and this
> effectively reduced his discomfort. Best Wishes Linda Forrest's Mom
>
> From: Linda Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject:
>  http://207.155.63.2/medscape/cgi-bin/taos_doc.pl?msw+0+med93-95+296067+query+(reduces-tremor)
> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 14:30:29 -0800
>
> [ Search and Display Medscape Full-Text Articles ]
>
> Please use your Browser's 'BACK' button to return to the listing
>
>  Title: Limb temperature and human tremors.
>  Title Abreviation: J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry Date of Pub: 1994 Jan
>  Author: Lakie M; Walsh EG; Arblaster LA; Villagra F; Roberts RC;
>  Issue/Part/Supplement: 1      Volume Issue: 57    Pagination: 35-42
>  MESH Headings: Adult; Aged; Blood Circulation; Body Temperature (*);
>  Comparative Study; Electromyography; Female; Forearm (*PH); Human;
>  Ischemia (PP); Laterality; Male; Middle Age; Muscles (*PH); Posture (*);
>  Radiosurgery; Tremor (*DI/ET/PP); -AA-;
>  Journal Title Code: JBB       Publication Type: JOURNAL ARTICLE
>  Date of Entry: 940310N        Entry Month: 9405
>  Country: ENGLAND              Index Priority: 1
>  Language: Eng                 Unique Identifier: 94132823
>  Unique Identifier: 94132823   ISSN: 0022-3050
>  Abstract: The changes in postural tremor of the hand produced by moderate
>  cooling of the muscles of one forearm have been investigated in 16 normal
>  subjects and in 16 patients with essential tremor. In both groups, cooling
>  produced a profound long lasting decrease in tremor level of the
>  ipsilateral hand. In normal subjects, although cooling reduced the tremor
>  size, the EMG of the active muscle clearly increased. Warming the limb in
>  normal subjects produced an increase in tremor level and decrease in EMG.
>  Cooling or warming the limb did not, however, significantly change the
>  peak frequency which was quite stable for each subject. The results of
>  cooling were compared with a brief period of ischaemia, which also reduces
>  tremor size. Local cooling may be a useful manoeuvre for patients with
>  essential tremor, and for others who wish to reduce their tremor
>  temporarily in order to improve dexterity.
>  Abstract By: Author
>  Address: Applied Physiology Research Unit, University of Birmingham, UK.
this is pretty wild,  yesterday it was really warm here in the caribean,
I had been working fairly vigorously since 5am, ( out in the garden in
the sun 90 degree) by 2:00 i was tired and hot, really hot, and crampy,
so I wrapped a cold band around my neck and got soft ice pac out of the
freezer,  my natural inclination was to put cold on my left foot and leg
.  then today i read the info about temp. and tremor.... its amazing
what you'll hear if you listen to your body!

with love to the list
lisa in paradise