        Jackie,
 I'm going to apologize at the beginning for your note is a beauty and I
fear that I will offend you. So Jackie, I apologize. I also apologize to
all the fine MDs out there for overstating my case. Having said that I want
to share with you a basic truth. The measure of a good or great physician
is whetherS/HE is a good or great physician. It has nothing to do with
his/her status as a "great guy". Seeing one's neurologist is not like going
to an ice skating show where the contestants are awarded "style points" It
is a very serious matter! Do you remember how small you felt when he made
his smartass comment? I'm willing to bet you that he hasn't lost much sleep
lately. I've a suggestion. Next time you see him tell him that you [and
Bob] didn't appreciate his dismissive comments and you would like him to
take you[and Bob] more seriously.If he is otherwise competent he will
apologize and do a little research on sleep disorders for BOB. I'll bet you
know more about the subject then he does!  Some one is paying him big bucks
and you should get a good bang for that buck.

     I almost never encourage a PDer to find another Neuro unless the
person is, by laymens rules, incompetent. My style is to confront,
negotiate and see where it comes out and if it doesn't look good "throw the
bum out"

     Also don't be too quick to ask for sleeping pills or Tranquilizers or
Bob may well stay on them for years.Another physician truth is that most
physicians never took the "Subtraction 101" course [It was offered as an
elective] But most of them have taken the "Addition 101 and 201 and 301+++[
they were required courses] In the end physicians only know how to add to
the pile of meds; rarely do they subtract. I would encourage you & BOB to
look to a herbal mix,or a relaxation tape with earphones that repeats
itself through out the night or a backrub or melatonan or even a glass of
warm milk!!Any thing but sleeping pills or/and  tranquilizers.
     You may wonder why I didn't send this to your personal e-mail. Two
reasons. ONE it seemed time once again to remind people to adjust their
expectation of physicians and other giver of health care. They are not gods
so please don't burden them with that item.
      And secondly I've noticed recently a great deal of "prescribing" I
know that you and you and
yes,you know more about medications then any 3 MDs but please issue a
disclaimer of some sort. Remember words have power and should be applied in
small doses. Why even this note has been toned down.You should have seen
the draft...

  With apologies as needed,
   george

AMAZING GRACE