The cause de PD is unknown, but:
 1.- Although the term " Parkinson=B4s Disease" is commonly employed, the=
re
is no convincing evidence that the disorder is a single entity with one
cause.
 2.- Both basic and applied research point to an etiology in which multip=
le
risk factors may be necesary for the expression of disease.
3.- The MPTP story put the idea of a specific neurotoxin firmly on the ma=
p.
4.- Support for an environmental cause also comes from studies that show =
PD
crossing racial but not geographic boundaries.
5.- Factors associated with PD occurrence in analytic epidemiology studie=
include rural residency, potable water source from a private well,
participation in farming and exposure to pesticide products.
6.- The work " Environmental antecedents of young-onset
Parkinson=B4s disease" P. G. Butterfield, Neurology 1993; 43: 1150-8 supp=
ort
the hypothesis.This study provides evidence on behalf of an association
between pesticide exposure, most prominently to insecticide products, and
PD.
7.- An alternative hypothesis is that exists one o more environmental
toxins to which we are all exposed but that some of us cannot cope with.
The inability to handle relevant toxins may be an inherited trait, raisin=
the role of genetics in PD.
8.- The findings of an inverse association between cigarette smoking and =
PD
risk are among the strongest found in the PD literature. First noted in
1966 by Kahn.

At 01:07 PM 3/18/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I would appreciate anyone's comments regarding any correlation between
>persons having PD and also having an extremely sensitive reaction of the=
ir

Santiago Mola=20