On 03/24/97 William Nowell asked:

>Can anyone share their experience with use of BACLOFEN?

Last summer my husbands' neurologist prescribed Baclofen (10 mg) for him to
help ease his episodes of extreme muscle rigidity which were making sleep
difficult at night. At bedtime he took his first dose. It was also his last
one. He ended up in the emergency room. We had a terrifying night of
hallucinations followed by a morning when he flopped around like a rag doll
and was extremely drowsy and somewhat confused mentally. At noon he choked
on his lunch because of his lack of muscle tone.

Baclofen is a powerful muscle relaxant and antispastic agent with central
nervous system depressant properties. It produces sedation, sleepiness. It
depresses the respiratory and  cardiovascular systems. Unfortunately, the
neurologist did not tell us that it was recommended that the dosage and
administration of Baclofen be gradual. The suggested dosage titration is to
start with 5 mg and to increase the dose by 5 mg. every three days until 20
mg per day is reached. Stopping the drug should also be gradual to avoid
unpleasant effects. Usually this drug is prescribed for patients with
muscular dystrophy or spinal cord injuries.

For some reason this was the occasion when I slipped up on my usual practice
of checking with the PDR before administering any drug to my husband. It
won't happen again. Most people have no problem with Baclofen, but it
is contraindicated for some people who have a hypersensitivity to it. We
found out the hard way that Neal seems to be one of them.

We like to trust our doctors, but it is important to double check for
ourselves when it comes to new medications. This is especially important for
PWPs in the later stages who are taking a lot of different medications which
increase the potential for drug interactions greatly.

Martha Rohrer  Caregiver for Neal, 77/12