This is a discussion we've had in the past, on both this and the
CARE list.  Interested persons may get back posts from the archives,
by asking John Cottingham  <[log in to unmask]>  for an archive search.
I agree that it is important not to "play ostrich" with head-in-the-sand,
however painful it may be to face potential outcomes.  It's something Peter
and I have discussed a lot,and we are in agreement as to our wishes, have
Living Wills, Durable Powers of Atty. for Health Care, and have talked
to our children about it. I believe it is much more loving to be honest with
them before they are put in the position of having to "choose" for us and
not know our wishes, even though it may be hard for them to hear these
things.The way an individual feels is determined by many things, one of
which is one's feeling re:t "quality of life"--and these decisions belong to
the individual, not to the doctor or anyone else. When one has put down on
paper what he/she desires, copies should go to family, doctor, minister/priest/
rabbi, and now in Ohio to the local hospital (by law). This comes as near as
possible to guaranteeing one's wishes are respected---though nothing is 100%
certain. BTW, our doc told us that if one is terminal and does not want life
support measures, "don't call 911" as it is their designated job to try to
resuscitate everyone!  I agree with the person who said that this forum should
be open to discussing any matters relating to our situation, and hope we can be

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
"Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"