Joao Paulo Carvalho wrote:

> IMHO if I were to be in such situation I would ask for eutanasia,or if
> conscious and able then commit suicide.
> I say : Happiness Is Right,So Chase Happiness...

The idea of suicide or euthanasia sounds plausible unless you think
about it.  My dad always said that he would kill himself, but the mental
deterioration and dementia leave him unable to carry through with a plan
of that sort.  In the meantime, I believe that my mother will do
whatever she can to keep him alive since her whole life is caring for
him now.  When he was in a doctor induced coma from a Valium overdose, I
believe another doctor tried to gently get her to let go and let him die
and she would not.  So he spent 3 mo in the hospital - 2 in a coma and a
third in rehab to return to a life of pain and sitting and doing nothing
all day.  I know that is not quality life, but despite a Living Will, my
mother chooses not to let go.

Most recently they did Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care and
when I asked my mother directly when she what her specific wishes were,
she refused to answer and said she had discussed it with her doctor(who
has hundreds of patients) and may not be on call in a crisis situation.
She still refuses to discuss it.  Since she has emphysema, I fully see
her hooked to a respirator long term. Without clear guidelines from her,
I intend to use my professional judgement, but most children don't
really know what to do.

I think this subject is difficult, but it is important in advance.  I am
glad Ray and Louise have brought up the subject.

Aloha, Gail

--
Gail B. Post, RN,MS,CSN
Maryknoll Schools