   Dick,
     You have accomplished by accident [using the word lightly] a tactic
for dealing with a problem              that has perplexed man & woman kind
since the telephone was invented...... THE UNSOLICITED SOLICITOR
otherwise known as the SOLICITOR FROM HELL! You say that your
"voice froze for a long enough period of time that he thought I had hung up
on him" Congrulations! Now if we can figure how to do by design what you
achieved by accident...hmmm Where did I leave my thinking cap?

    Don't anyone get us going on the trail of "my tactic works well on gas
stove tele solicitors but not so well on bug spray solicitors" etc, etc

my best

AMAZING GRACE

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me