Daphne Shaw wrote:

> I was an Ostrich until I was forced to look to a support group because my
> emotions were drained.  When my PD husband would attend, I would make excuses
> to stay home because I didn't want to witness the progression of the disease.
> I wanted to believe it was just a shaking palsy.  Then last year his symptoms
> were advanced by years because of a drug reaction. What I found at my first
> meeting were a few dedicated individuals keeping a good support group going.
> The shaking hand was making coffee for the guest.  Another was setting up the
> tables.  Another was placing the signs on the snow covered corners.  A phone
> call had reminded me of the meeting.  A guest speaker had been scheduled.
>
> Now, beyond the affliction, I see compassionate persons dealing with symptoms
> intelligently. They desire answers and share their understandings. . They show
> an unrelenting hope for a cure and seem more alive than those administering
> their government.  Now, the more enlightened I am, the more prepared I should
> be to deal with helplessness and humiliation.
> This, I will face with hope and humility and until that time, I want to show
> compassion and patience that has been shown to us.
>
> Daphne cg for Bernie 71/7 in Ann Arbor MI
Dear Daphne,
I know how you feel, my husband was diagnosed two years ago at 46. I've
been a nurse for 27 years and for all the things I've dealt with nothing
prepared me for the emotions that came with just four words spoken by
our Neurologist 'your husband has Parkinson's'. It took me quiet awhile
before I could come to some kind of understanding with it. We have been
going to support meetings here, yes people are in all stages, its not
alway easy to face this,but there is so much to learn from everyone,  we
all are in the same fight. My husband and I choose to become very active
in the fight to get the Udall Bill past. The only way to stop this
monster of a disease is with research and education. So we know we must
put all our efforts towards this bill. Sometimes in helping others we
help ourselves. We are all here for you and your husband.
Donna Testa
Rochester New York