Marcia Mc Cabe wrote about her husband being diagnosed as having PD and
starting to forget things.
        I have written last week about some of the things my father went
through, and is still going through. Your husband, Marcia, is in a
slightly different situation, since he has diabetes and the onset of PD
is apparently ocurring before forgetfulness. But it may be similar. My
father first started to forget things about 8 or 9 years ago. He got
lost driving, until we finally took his keys away. About six years ago,
sitting on a patio with relatives, he asked us "Who is this big woman
sitting next to me?", and it was his sister-in-law who he'd known for
about 40 years. This was both funny and heartbraking. PD struck about 5
years ago or so. Sinimet and Eldepryl helped control it, but he has
gotten progressively worse. Of course, he is now 80 years old. You don't
mention your husband's age. He started to lose the ability to walk very
well, and we had several instances of him falling down and staying there
until I got there to pick him up. I have already told how he started to
have  trouble eating, which caused pneumonia, which caused damage to the
lungs. Which eventually lead to having a feeding tube put in his
stomach. This is where I would advise you to think long and hard if this
option is presented to you, especially if he is severly confused. At the
time it was presented to us, we were told it was a simple, painless
operation. If you have your faculties, maybe it is not such a big deal.
They gave us a pamphlet showing a smiling, happy guy playing scrabble
with his family. Maybe.  But when the lungs become infected the third
time or so, even with the feeding tube, and you are offered the choice
of whether to put him on a respirator or not, say no. This is not
euthenasia, as someone has written, but letting nature take it's course.
This is assuming he is incapable of answering for himself, which may not
be the case.But it's starting to sound that way. Get him to sign those
living will and power of attorney statements now, before it's too late.
As it was for us. And while my father does not remember his
granddaughters names, he still has a smile for them when they come to
visit. And he does know his chilren and his wife. Good luck to you.

        Ray     [log in to unmask]