It has been 6 months since I underwent the controversial "pig-cell" implant
surgery
for Parkinson's Disease.  This anniversary was spent in Boston with the
medical
personnel involved in this research program.

Essentially, the day was used to repeat all of the previous tests for motor
skills,
balance, walking, etc.  All of the testing was done twice.  The first battery
was
performed after I had been off my medications for over 12 hours.  Then, they
were all
repeated after I had been given my medications and was supossedly in the "on"
state.

And here is some truly amazing news.  Even WITHOUT medication for 15 hours, I
was quite mobile and able to walk (rather well) from the parking lot to the
doctor's
offices; over 2 blocks away.  I didn't even take my cane!  Also, the staff
was very
pleased with the results of their examinations.  Again, the word "amazed"
must be
used.  They made note of such things as better walking, facial expression,
voice,
and the like.

After completing their work, I was given my first dose of Sinemet.  (That's
the only
drug I take, the others either not working and/or producing intolerable
side-effects.)
It took another pill before I switched "on."  Even then, it was not a
complete "on."  But
the tests were repeated anyway.  In most of them there was additional
improvement.
However, by now fatique had set in.  (As you know, a day of these rigorous
tests is
very tiring.)

My own conclusion is that even when I'm "off" it is a much better "off" then
before the
operation.  For example, I have been walking without my cane for more than 6
weeks.  Included in that period was a 3 week vacation in Florida which
involved a
LOT of walking in the Disney parks.

So, the medical people are all happy with my status at this point.  The
numbers
"work."

Now, here are some thoughts based on my self-evaluation.  You'll pardon the
fact
that this is terribly unscientific.

1) Areas of improvement: Walking, dressing, driving, cutting food, facial
expression,
sleeping, response to medication, dyskinesia

2) Areas of little or no improvement: Handwriting (But it was poor even
before PD)

3) Side-effects: Virtually NONE

4) Outlook: Those of you who have been following my reports on this operation
have
no doubt noticed my conservatism.  I felt it inappropriate to give false hope
to our
fellow sufferers.  Now, 6 months after the surgery, I feel there is some
cause for
quiet celebration.  I am certainly in better condition since the operation;
that's been
properly documented.  Just as important; I FEEL better, too.  However, I do
NOT feel
as though I've been cured.  There are still problems to deal with.  In my
case, fatique
is at the top of the list.  But, I see a glimmer of hope for the first time
in the 17 years
of dealing with Parkinson's.

A final note.  To those of you who missed my 2 previous reports on this
procedure,
feel free to directly E-Mail me for a copy.  Do NOT post a request to the
general list
as there is a strong chance that I won't see it.  Any comments, however,
should be
shared with all of us.  If I can answer any questions, please write.  As 1 of
only 12
patients who are involved with this particular study, I consider it to be my
duty to
share my experiences with anyone with an interest in this horrible disease.

Jim Finn   <[log in to unmask]>
48 / 17