Cynthia Stegall wrote:

> One question I have  has to do with Pycnogenol, a super anti-oxidant.  I've
> heard that it is helpful to people with PD.  Has anyone out there tried it or
> know of anyone who has?

Hi All,

I have been a lurker for a few weeks now.  My name is Lionel Modra. My
wife, Win, 67, was diagnosed as a PWP last Dec.  With hindsight, some
symptons were showing several months prior to that.  Her symptoms are;
cogwheel effect in the left arm, weakness, and some loss of dexterity,
in that arm, limp on the left leg, some loss of facial mobility.
Her sister, 65, has had PD for 20 years, but her symptoms differ. Her
sister is still mobile, and does all her usual housework and some
gardening. She has been on Sinemet since diagnosis, and Eldepryl since
'90.  She has taken a lot of antioxidants (Vitamins C, E, & A in
particular) and has watched her diet (very little red meat, but lots of
fruit and vegetables). Some deterioration has occured, and night tremor
is now becoming a problem.  She has tried Pycnogenol, but didn't notice
a significant effect (probably because of the anitoxidants she was
taking).
My wife is taking Pycnogenol, and noticed a *great* effect on her
general health and feeling of wellbeing, even after two days.  She has
no insomnia since taking this, and other anti oxidants, also.  (Insomnia
had been a problem).  She is taking the pine bark extract.  At present
she is on Selegeline only (5mg/ day, am), after being on Sinemet for a
couple of months.   The reason for being started on Sinemet is because
Gov. cost assistance for Selegeline (Eldepryl, etc) is only available
where it is prescribed as a secondary treatment to Levadopa here in
Australia.  Sinemet did help, but the Eldepryl only appears to be having
similar effects.  She still tires eaily, but is fully functional, albeit
at a lower level than previously.  (She has always been a very energetic
person).

Regards,

Lionel Modra.