At 01:22 PM 3/30/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Friends--I'mposting this to the main list rather than CARE in the hope someone
>can shed light from personal experiences.
>Yesterday Peter had to have an energency extraction of a broken tooth. The
>oral surgeon and staff were most accommodating, sensitive to his needs, etc.
>and the procedure went well, at 8:00 AM. We were home by 10:00AM, and as
>he was still dopey from the anesthetic he slept off and on all day and evening-
>-he did take his Sinemet 10/100 every 2 hours as usual,but no extra doses.
>He was also on a crash dose (7 AM and 1PM)of Amoxycillin antibio., as he has
>mitral valve prolapse, and this is required before any oral surgery.
>He was a bit spacey off and on yesterday, due to the anesthetic--and po
>also the stress of the situation.  This AM he woke feeling quite normal, took
>10/100at 6 AM,8AM, 9:45 (before I left for church) and seemed fine. When
>I returned home about 11:30,in time for his next dose, he was in trouble,
>said his legs weren't working, couldn't stand to get out of his chair in living
> room.....I gave him the next 10/100 early, at 11:45, dealt with other
>problems, and a half hour later he still was too wobbly to stand with my help.
>I recalled that this was how he was the time he had to wait for the doc to
>discharge him from a day of hospital observation, as the stress of waiting till
>9:30PM for the doc really got to him.  On the theory that the stress level may
>(like hard exercise has been said to do) cause the Sinemet to not work as well,
> be used up faster, whatever, I persuaded him to take another 10/100 at 12:15,
>then sat quietly, played soft music, talked reassuringly. Within a half
>hour, he was able to get up and get from the living room to the bathroom with
>my help,legs functioning OK!
>Here's my question--could it be that stress levels affecthehe way t
>Sinemet is used by the body---so that in a highly stressful situation one
>might be *undermedicated* even with normal doses?  I should add that Peter has
>never had dyskinesia, nor does he have more than very minor resting tremor of
>hand when eating. His main problems are bradykinesis,bradyphrenia,and
>rigidity. (Plus others too numerous to mention!)
>If it seems this is a reasonable deduction from our experience, I can be
>prepared to ask neuro to increase his doses during the stressful time when I
>will be having surgery in April, and he has chosen to spend three days time in
>a local NH, rather than try to cover(for that short time)24 hrs. a day here at
>home. Any light that anyone can shed on this subject will be very welcome!
>
>Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
>*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
>"Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"
>*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

camilla i have same prop. i went for blood tests all most pased out from
what they gave me. could not stand or walk. the was going tocall 911 but my
showed up. and told them i was in light coma. but would take me home. they
called my neuro and he said she was doing the right thing. i take ougen. was
on it while. but the sayty of my home helped me to come around. stress of
what we aren,t use to brings alot of it on. at home i am safe from out side
world. i now can walk in housse with out my cane a little ways. everry thing
is padded in case i fall soi won,t get hurt. what nh or np some about
gettting omly some type of mail. i want to help people if i can don. email
me have troule in understang things now as i so adfanced pd. i will need
some good advice on some things.  have patince with me.  I.Y.Q.
[log in to unmask] LIMA OH.