Dear listmembers,

A recent thread on the list has dealt with the reaction of many of
us in the middle stages of PD, to being reminded of the realities
of end stage PD.

It is a hard thing to do, living with Parkinson's Disease in your life.
Whether PWP or CG we survive by devising techniques by which
we manage the disease and, probably more importantly, ourselves
and our attitudes to PD. It has often been said that no two people
experince PD in exactly the same way.  It is equaly true that no two
people will deal wth it in the same way.

There is one glaring exception to this 'rule'.  In my experience those
of us who have learnt to take "one day at a time", seem to be the
most succesful at maintaining some quality in our lives.  Very few of
us have this attitude at diagnoses.  Most of us seem to enter the
grief cycle,  experiencing varying degrees of denial and anger,
before finally accepting our new status.  This is the point at which
the great divide occurs.  Some of us, overwhelmed by the problems
they are already facing, and shocked and terrified by their vision of
the possible future, become the wounded in this war of attrition in
which we are all unwilling draftees.  The rest of us, faced with the
same vision, and accutely concious of how small we are, choose
to concentrate on the battle at hand.  The grand stratagies that
will win this war are beyond us as individuals.  New drugs, new
surgical techniques, new genetic information - these are what will
win the war against PD.  We individual footsoldiers approach the
war piecemeal, one skirmish, one day at a time.

It is our task to secure our own piece of the battle ground.  Many
of us will lose our individual battles before the war is won. We cannot
let that fact distract us. That battle is for another day and requires
a different type of courage.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10