Teresa,

Thank you for the compliment.  I try to provide the dual perspective of
being a physician and a PWP.

Regarding Michael,  how old is he and what was his age of onset?  Do you
know the doses of meds- Parlodel, Sinemet and Eldepryl he was taking at
the time of the onset of the paranoia and now?

I get my PD care from Rush and saw Dr. Klawans for a number of years
before entering into some studies when I changed to Dr. Shannon and now
Dr. Goetz.  The Rush Movement disorders Program are as knowledgeable a
group as you will find anywhere in the world and I would suggest that if
you can find a way to get Michael to Chicago at least for ongoing
consultation i.e. every 6 months to a year arranging with your
neurologist (I believe you must be in South Bend) to work with the Rush
experts as consultants- but with he remaining your primary Doctor-  that
is if you feel he is concerned, and willing to work with the Rush people
but does not have the expertise in PD necessary with such a complex PD
case as is evident in Michael.

Regarding the medications he is or was taking-  Mellaril can and usually
does cause worsening of PD symptoms.  Since also med doses of PD meds
are usually being reduced at the time that is usually an unsatisfactory
solution-  although until a few years ago that is all we had.  Clozaril
was introduced about 8-10 years ago for Schizophrenia.  It does not have
the movement side effects (pseudoparkinsonism) that most of the other
anti psychotic medications demonstrate.  In recent years it has been
used for psychosis in PWP with some real success (as well as failures)
which a number of the list have attested to.  There is some small risk
involved and weekly blood tests are mandatory to head off a potentially
fatal aplastic anemia which occurs in about 1-2% of individuals who take
the drug. (but caught early is almost always preventable).  There are
also sometimes other side effects.  Having stated the risks the benefits
can truly be remarkable both in schizophrenia its primary indication-
and in psychosis associated with PD.  Respiridol and now recently
Zyprexa are attempts to capture the positive effects of Clozaril without
the risk of serious side effects.  I have not been impressed with
respiridol in my experience -  and it seems to have the pseudoparkinson
side effects although at a reduced frequency and severity.  Zyprexa came
out several months ago and with my severely reduced practice at this
point I haven't had the chance to try it on patients. That is why I am
collecting information about PWP's experience with it on the LIST.

I would think that Clozaril would be Michael's best hope-  sometimes it
can even be helpful to the Parkinson's symptoms themselves-  However
Psychosis associated with PD &/or PD meds is  an "off label" indication
for using Clozaril-  meaning PD is not an officially FDA approved use
for this drug (probably on the basis of failure of the drug company to
apply for that approval or red tape).

Rush has a series of at least 45 patients that they have tried on
Clozaril according to Dr. Shannon the last time I talked to her about it
with some good results and some failures.  I think it would be worth a
try considering that Michael is so dysfunctional at this time.

Good luck and keep me informed.

Charlie

--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.